Michener Fans?

MonwarH

I have been reading some of his books... Chesapeake most recently, Carribean a while ago... and they are so good. Just the type the lazy traveler in me likes... depicting a place, its history, its geography, its people... and mostly ITS PEOPLE... because I can not hope to make so many friends. A writer just before my time, and also a writer of the 60s, 70s and 80s. Wondeful books, wide scopes, what more can you ask for?

And by the way, I was reading this quite wonderful Michener interview here, and then made this post.

I read ______ as a teenager ...

Yeah, I haven't opened any of his books in at least a decade, maybe two, I'd think.

...it all looked like overcooked kitsch to me. Different strokes, I suppose...

It is all a bit formulaic, rather like Wilbur Smith's books, many of which I read at about the same time (and for much the same reason)

MonwarH,

Big Michener fan, a habit I got from my dad. FIRES OF SPRING is an autobiographical novel of Michener's early days as a carnie. Intriguing free love social model in Doylestown! POLAND is a total cultural immersion that really got my dad fired up over pierogis, to the point he learned how to make them. CHESAPEAKE resulted in many epic pots of he/she (can't remember which) oyster stew, made per the book's recipe. Read THE SOURCE as a kid, especially liked the Crusaders under siege portion. BRIDGE AT ANDAU made a huge impact on my whole world view, with the torture sequences seared into my brain. Good prep for my years as a Cold Warrior in military aerospace! Loved BRIDGES OF TOKO-RI, both as a book and as a film. Was mad about F-9Fs thereafter. Got to see the same model rescue helo as in the film in May at the Udvar-Hazy Center in Washington, D.C. A real treat! Don't recall much about SPACE (conflation with THE RIGHT STUFF?)), but for sure read CENTENNIAL. Thanks for the synapse tickle and shall have a look at the interview.

Regards,

John Kettler