The Islamic Variable

MonwarH

Yes, that's an interesting observation and I agree with it. A question might be, though, which type of society provides the greatest benefit to mankind? And maybe the answer is we are better off with a mix. Including even the theocratic oriented nations. Even though I admit they tend to irk me on a personal level.

"Flying planes into a building was a faith based initiative." - Bill Maher

The topic surely has gotten complex! ;)

I guess societal growth occurs at different levels. It might not be a nice, gentle curve. Almost like Malcolm Gladwell's 'The Tipping Point'. At certain points growth might start more rapidly or might slow down, actually. :) Either way, there is a huge economic developmental difference between most countries in the Islamic World and most countries in the West.

On the Americans not utilizing their discoveries... I think they are... it is just that they have changed a lot as a society... they are the society where these new discoveries tend to get most experiemented upon, right? So they may have developed a certain fatigue... there might also be other socio-economic factors we don't have an inkling about! ;)

• 1 year later...
Ah yes, what a great lineup that was! JasonC is still around but the rest seem to have gone into hiding. Speaking of which, where is Dandelion? And does he know that WW II is back up on the block?

Michael

He just might, Michael. He just might. :)

Haven't forgotten any of you either. Long and deep has been my sleep of late. Who could've imagined it'd take so many years before the sequel. I feel like an old tree in thaw in here, half surprised to be wakening.

Good to see your name and text here again Michael. I particularly remember how beneficial and pleasurable your friendly and polite tone always was during the debates. Good to be back.

/Dandelion

Or should that say The poster formerly known as Dandelion?

Or just Max?

Anyway, it's me.