Would you like to give oral commands in CMSF?

You can, to some extend, by using a 3rd party voice command software. I only have tried the shareware e-speaking (free 30 day trial) and haven't yet tried it very much, but it does seem to work quite nicely, even if adding new commands seems a little bit, I don't know, glitchy. Or I just am not very good with it.

You can't record orders like "Panzers vorwärts". But you can attach a voice command to any keyboard press, or series of presses, specific to a program. So you can have different commands for CMSF, CMBB and Il-2 Sturmovik, for instance. Eg. I have defined esc to be pressed when I say 'pause' and the game pauses/unpauses. Or when I say 'trees', it gives CMSF the alt-T key press, hiding/showing trees. And so on.

Real time gamers probably benefit of this more, I'm not sure yet if this really has any use or is it just a gimmick. But the possibility of playing without keyboard is alluring. Also it may just be the final drop to your significant other, so use at your own peril...

If you know any other free voice command software or have tried this, share your experiences.

Here's another one:

http://www.dwvac.com/index.html

Since CMSF is used with keyboard and mouse (and not with game controllers), I don't think this adds much. It could be more useful in things like flight sims where there can be LOTS of commands and if you can invoke commands without typing, you can keep both hands on game controllers.

I have used 'Shoot' for Operation Flashpoint in the past. Never had the idea to try it with CM games but it should work. If I remember correctly Shoot only 'understands' english and doesn't work very well with German voice commands for example.

Binding the commands to keys is done via XML file or even in the program itsself but XML is faster.

enigma. rising tide has been released for free now i think. That had speech commands. One of the first to do it.

I owned it but found it too strange giving voice commands while others in the family were around. Apart from that if u are in an online team it becomes ridiculous as u try to talk to humans and the games ai.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/10/04/enigma-rising-rip-tide/#more-19059

Microsoft has its own free speech engine from what I recall, and we had used it in the Dangerous Waters naval sim. It was great to be able to give voice commands in that game and worked pretty much flawlessly, but you had to "train" the software recognition part of the software a few times first.

Yeah, Dangerous Waters had an outstanding one, made me feel like Red Storm Rising and stuff. That being said, controlling multiple units with voice in CMSF probably won't be as awesome for me, I manage in real time without keyboard shortcuts, but I'll give it a shot.