Kyro-II and CMBO fix for graphical text errors

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>To fix this issue dump the following in a txt file called fix.reg (no txt extension):

----------------------

REGEDIT4

; 07/06/01 12:20:25

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PowerVR\KYRO\Game Settings\D3D]

; Combat Mission: Demo

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PowerVR\KYRO\Game Settings\D3D\COMBAT MISSION BETA DEMO.EXE]

"DisableCopyBlt3D"="1"

----------------------

Double clicking this file will add this to the registry and your text should be fixed. If your exec name is different or if you use Win2K you should add the :

"DisableCopyBlt3D"="1"

String yourself using regedit. This will be fixed automatically in future driver updates <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did this and it works fine now.

-T

That "DisableCopyBlt3D" setting may affect your 3D performance, but apparently it is a necessary evil in this case.

It looks like the driver's registry settings are capable of disabling certain features per defined executable. You may want to change the "COMBAT MISSION BETA DEMO.EXE" to the current "CombatMission.exe" (case insensitive I'd guess). Otherwise I'd guess that the hardware accelerated CopyBlit 3D function will be disabled for every DirectX game (which seems to be the suggestion for anything under Win2K).

Thanks for sharing this info for those who end up getting a Kyro II in the near future.

This registry setting fixes the problem with text, but now all transparent textures (buildings, shadows, smoke) are always drawn on top, even if they are in the background.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Where did you get the info on the registry changes?

I changed the video property settings for the Kyro II Direct 3D to Enable External Depth/Stencil Buffer on, including all of its sub settings to on. This fixed the second problem, but now performance is VERY SLOW.

So, what is the cause of this problem? Is there a way to fix it, without hurting system performance so much?

My system: PIII-533, 256 MB PC133, Via VD133 mobo, Win98, DirectX8.0a, all latest drivers.

Tiger, You save my life ! I love you :cool:

But, how or where do you find these stuffs ?

Just perfom some test...

The game seems runing well now but I still have two little problems.

1 - all explosions look like airburst explosions. I don't have any explosion on the ground :(

2 - when I look at a vehicule or a tree in front of a transparent building, this vehicule or this tree is transparent too

:confused: (same problem as slider)

[ 06-10-2001: Message edited by: Xavier ]

[ 06-10-2001: Message edited by: Xavier ]

The following registry entries ( in Win 98 ) solved all problems, with no loss of performance. yipee :- )

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PowerVR\KYRO\Game Settings\D3D\Combat Mission.exe]

"UISettingType0"="0"

"UIDummySSControl"="3"

"EnableSceneSS"="0"

"DisableXSS"="0"

"DisableYSS"="0"

"UIDummyZLSMode"="1"

"ZStore"="1"

"ZLoad"="1"

P.S. I have no idea what these setting are.

Whoops !!

That should be:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PowerVR\KYRO\Game Settings\D3D\Combat Mission.exe]

"DisableCopyBlt3D"="1"

"UISettingType0"="0"

"UIDummySSControl"="3"

"EnableSceneSS"="0"

"DisableXSS"="0"

"DisableYSS"="0"

"UIDummyZLSMode"="1"

"ZStore"="1"

"ZLoad"="1"

Also, some of these entries may not be necessary. I have not done enough experimentation to determine which settings actually fix the problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I am relatively stupid when it comes to computers so please don't bash me too hard.

I just bought the Kyro II card and I'm having the same exact problems with the text. I read your above posts and I tried the fix.reg file, but it doesn't seem to work on my PC.

I know it is something I am doing wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.

Are there any space bars in the code?

I.E. "UIDummyZLSMODE" = "1"

I've been up for hours trying different combinations to no avail. This is the only game I have that has this problem, but the problem is, this is the only game I play period.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

No, there are no "spacebars" in the code. Each item is a key and the info after it is the value. Depending on whether these enteries are present or not you may have to manually enter them in.

Go to Start Menu > Run > type in regedit. This will bring up the Registry Editor (an Explorer-like interface). The above "directory-like" structure of the key name is just like manuvering around in the Explorer File Manager where each "subdirectory" as it appears in the name is actually the name of a subkey.

Once you're at the appropriate place in the registry you can check to see if the following keys are present (as listed above). If not, then you're going to have to add them. I'm not sure of the contents of the fix.reg file, but you can import it here from the Registry > Import Registry File menu selection (you can also double-click on it in Explorer and it will be loaded into the registry).

If the fix.reg file doesn't have the appropriate registry settings in it, then you can manually insert these keys. With the appropriate key highlighted in the left-hand pane go to the Edit > New menu item and select Key. You can now type in the name of the key (without quotation marks) and press Enter. With this key still highlighted go to the Edit > New menu again and select Binary Value and type in the 1 or 0 value. If the value is anything other than 1 or 0 then select DWORD Value. This should be appropriate for the keys mentioned here. When you're done adding the subkeys you need you can just go to Registry > Exit and your registry is already saved. Make sure everything is correct and try to avoid deleting anything accidentally since it may severely affect your system.

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]