British tactics?

I'm early on in the British campaign and new to CM as well.

Finding the Brits pretty challenging to play with.

If anyone has any tactical suggestions it'd be much appreciated.

All I've picked up so far is engaging at a distance with Schimitars to keep their soft armour out of the way. (I'm still getting used to CMSF realistic engagement distances so probably half my own fault there.)

Infantry seem to get mown down entering/clearing buildings, even if I rake them with canon and MG fire first. [This is very noticable with the smaller Brit infantry sections.] Is my best bet to pay attention to threads like the very informative strategy guide above? I.E using smoke - some have pointed out how good the 51mm mortar is for this use in other posts on the subject - suppress with one group and flank with another?

Any good tips with the Brits, or anything relevant I blatantly don't know from my newbie ignorance much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

spearman_uk,

There have been quite a few threads about this. Differences between UK, US, etc. Tactics to use too. Mostly in the main forum area.

Since you are new to both the game and the UK module, yes it will take some time to get used to it. It´s actually very nice stage to be!

Here are some links of threads you might find interesting. Also check posts by flamingknives and Combatintman, 2 experts that helped get the module right! ;-)

US vs Brits

Impressions of the campaign

First impressions of British gameplay

British Section Sizes VS Mechanised Squads?

Have fun!