Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

About Russian squads...

Clevinger

Syrian mechanized squads are probably close to their soviet/russian counterparts, but I am looking for documents dealing with the present composition of the Russian squads and platoons (Mechanized units).

The only viable document I have is the FM 100-60 which is certainly reliable, but not really up-to-date. :D

I know that BFC is not the place intended, but still if someone can provide me with a link to a website or a FM dealing with this topic, it would be great :)

Well unless the Russians have done some reorganisation at platoon level since 1988 (and I don't think they have) the squad has 8 men - 1 sergeant, 2 RPK gunners, 1 RPG gunner and 4 riflemen, one of whom acts as an assistent RPG gunner. The Mechanised squads are tranported in a BMP-1/2 carrier which has 2 crew members when the squad dismounts (the sergeant controls the carrier with flags and hand signals/mobile Phone AFAIK).

In combat the platoon is commanded by a single liutenant or experienced sergeant and 1 squad in the platoon will also normally carry a SVD sniper rifle. The company will also add 1 MANPAD gunner and either the first sergeant, welfare officer or technical officer to each platoon.

In addition to the above mentioned equipment the squads will carry as much additional stuff they can get their hands on. 2 or more single shot RPG-18/22/26/27 launchers are common as well as RPO launchers. In fact, when in Chechnia the soldiers seemed to prefer the single shot launchers to the RPG's (IMO). As well as that, squads can also swap an RPK with a PKM.

Basically, when going into combat a Russian squad will fill its carrier with as much firepower as they can stuff inside - regulations seem to go out of the window!