Gordon Brown sorry for castrating a gay cracker

Sergei

I was really surprised to learn that it took this long to apologize for something as unfair as this. I mean, not only was he persecuted for simply being what he was (his only real crime being born at a time when you couldn't), but he had also served his government like only a few did, ironically in a war against a government that murdered homosexuals.

According to Winston Churchill, Turing made the single biggest contribution to Allied victory in the war against Nazi Germany.

In 1952, however, Turing was prosecuted for gross indecency after admitting a sexual relationship with a man. Two years later he killed himself.

He lived in a time when homosexuality between men was a criminal offence.

He avoided a prison sentence by agreeing to undergo experimental hormone therapy - he was injected with female hormones to reduce his sex drive and chemically castrated.

His career was also curtailed - security privileges were removed, meaning he could not continue work for the UK Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ).

In 1954 at the age of 41, he is thought to have taken his life by eating a cyanide-laced apple at his home in Wilmslow, Cheshire.

Alan Turing's profile by BBC

You can read the official apology here.

(I would have loved to read Fred Phelps' comments on this, but unfortunately his sites (Godhatesfags and Godhatesamerica) were down... :( )

by hcrof

Its disgusting really what they did to him, especially with what he accomplished. The guy probably deserved a knighthood and yet they castrated him.

He did violate standing laws. And I think he did so knowingly. He knew the risks and got nicked.

Mind you, what about the others who were castrated according to the same law ? Where is their apology ?

I think this apology was brought on by the WWII anniversary. An obvious publicity stunt if I ever saw one.

I'm glad that I grew up in a more tolerent society where there are equal rights for all.

I wish that was truly the case. But I think you are mistaken when it comes to both tolerance and equal rights.

I am unclear about this urge to get current Governments to apologise for things done by previous generations. It almost seems that we are being asked to judge the people of that era guilty for not sharing OUR concepts.

I of course am awaiting an apology from the Government in Rome - and possible reparations for the unprovoked invasion.

I am unclear about this urge to get current Governments to apologise for things done by previous generations. It almost seems that we are being asked to judge the people of that era guilty for not sharing OUR concepts.

I've never really understood the logic behind that argument. No matter whether it's crucifying some Jews and gays 2000 years ago or gas chambering some Jews and gays 60 years ago, there have always been those who have shared "our" concepts and those who haven't. Or do you think that 19th century slaves shared the idea of US founding fathers that negro slavery was a noble and Christian thing? Me thinks not. There is no "our morality" versus "their morality". There's only the repressee and the repressor and which one you sympathize with. And this is very important to understand, as in recent years even in developed western democracies there has been re-emerging support for use of torture. I do wish that a hundred years from now people won't think it was a norm back then.

Besides, British government didn't apologize for anything. They said they're "sorry". How British of them to ruin someone's life and then say something that lame, like "here's a biscuit". Actually taking responsibility for goverment's past actions would involve at least official rehabilitation and compensations to the victim or their closest relatives and an apology. Russians rehabilitated Soviet political prisoners, Germans have been paying compensations to those who were enslaved or otherwise ill-treated by Nazi regime, but eg. Finnish government never has considered it to have been a moral problem that until 40 years ago retarded people were involuntarily sterilized and people with certain genetic disabilities weren't allowed to get married, both prime examples of our eugenics laws. To me it gives the perception that our government can do any dimwit thing it wants at whim and face no consequences when it realizes what twat it was. And don't say anything about judging them by our concepts, they drat well knew it was wrong.

I think you are mistaken when it comes to both tolerance and equal rights.

Call be an optimist but I know several gay people who are free to express themselves with nothing more than a bit of banter about thier sexuality. Ethnic minorities are accepted by pretty much everyone I have met and those who disagree keep thier mouths shut. Racists seem to be dying out compared to 50 years ago with only a couple of ill educated idiots who genuinely hate non-white people. This anti muslim histeria is just a blip that has been blown out of proportion by the media IMO.

The biggest success of course has been the emancipation of women with the feminist movement now struggling to maintain its relevence in a world where they have pretty much achieved the goals they set out to achieve.

So yeah, I'm young and naive :P

Sergei . Rehabilitate - if possible certainly. However you are simply re-asserting my point that the previous generations were GUILTY in allowing something to happen that current generations consider OK.

An absurd situation which unwisely makes us, or some of us feel cleverer or more moral than our grandparents. Perhaps we should give them the right to look down on us and say how immoral we are with regards to sex, to eating adulterated food etc etc.

Perhaps in future generations they will wonder why we did nothing soon enough about global warming. We can then await the leaders of the major powers to apologise to the survivors of drowned islands and lowlands. Our generation may be wrong but apologising for something you have no control over is hypocritical.

gunner - where Halliburton around then? : )

I was really surprised to learn that it took this long to apologize for something as unfair as this. I mean, not only was he persecuted for simply being what he was (his only real crime being born at a time when you couldn't), but he had also served his government like only a few did, ironically in a war against a government that murdered homosexuals.

Alan Turing's profile by BBC

You can read the official apology here.

(I would have loved to read Fred Phelps' comments on this, but unfortunately his sites (Godhatesfags and Godhatesamerica) were down... :( )

Wow! such a sad ending for this man!