Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

A few comments on posting on the BFC message board.

Quote:And once again, the historical record can be preserved now anyway, by clicking on the link of the edit, if you change the forum settings to allow that.

I'll look into that feature as I forgot about it.

This feature must be in the 3.7 or 3.8 family of vBB as it is not available here.

Martin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, looks like one forum where I see it is at 3.8. Bummer. Hey upgrade fun :) You don't have anything better to do, right? :D

BTW, is there a switch to maybe set the minimum length for words in a search to 3 or 2 characters? For us tankheads that would be very useful.

There is a bunch of reasons why we do not want to upgrade at this point.

Yes, there is a switch that allows to set the number of minimum characters to search for. It's set to 3 at the moment (and has been for a while).

There is a bunch of reasons why we do not want to upgrade at this point.

Yes, there is a switch that allows to set the number of minimum characters to search for. It's set to 3 at the moment (and has been for a while).

How sure are you of that? Tried a couple of three letter searches and only

get:

1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Either we never discussed SAW, LMG, LSW and T34 or it isn't working quite right.

Hmm... yes, the setting seems to be right.

Perhaps what is happening is that the OLD board has not been indexed correctly when merged with the new one? Although it's hard to imagine that these abbreviations haven't been used for the past year, so I guess that's not it. I'll put this on the list as yet another thing to doublecheck given some time.

BTW, I have added the abbreviations SAW, LMG, LSW, T34" to the list of "exceptions" that can be set in vBB, which (should) make sure that these words are indexed regardless of other limitations. Re-indexing is being done periodically so eventually these should begin returning results. However, with such a huge forum as we have, anything with regard to search is a "shot in the dark" at best. The UBB search functions for example were basically not working right for years despite what you guys seem to think ;)

Yeah, I've found other problems like Elmar. For example, doing a search for something like T90 and T-90 comes up with nothing even when I can see a post with that exact text in it. Yet T90SA and T-90sa do get hits. Based on this, and other instances, it does appear that the search feature has a problem with very short search strings even though they are allowed.

Steve