Tried playing again after a long absence

I have the latest version of SC2 Blitzkrieg and need a little help.

How do you go about capturing Norway before France? In the game I played I don’t have the PP’s to fund research, reinforcements to wounded units, build new units and or HQ’s and get everything ready for the attack on France. I guess I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

One more thing: does anyone find HQ’s too expensive?

First are you talking about v 1.08 Global conflict or the normal Fall Weiss scenario? I wasn't a huge fan of the Global scenario, as I just felt like it was a jumbled mess of units and land tiles, so I never really played it all that much (no offense to the people that made it). With that said if it’s Fall Weiss scenario I could make the suggestion not to bother with invading Norway as you're not going to benefit even 1 mpp more if you attack it then if you don't. However if you want to attack simply send 1 Army and 1 Corps to Oslo and provide air support (attack and capture Denmark first)

No I think given that they are by far the most valuable units in the game, and can make or break offensive and defensive operations, that if anything they might need to be made a little bit more expensive. Hope this helps.

Sorry, I wasn't specific, I'm talking about the normal Fall Weiss scenario. I'm not into the global conflict I'm just interested in the European theater.

Thanks for the advice.

If I remember correctly you automatically get a para unit at some point, with air/fleet this unit alone should be able to capture Norway.

Don't worry about it, I thought you were talking about Fall Weiss, I just didn't want to post some really long response just to hear that you were talking about something else.

You get the paratroop unit in December of 1939, not sure what day though.

As for the whole capital thing goes the only countries that have more then one capital in this game would be Germany (2), USSR (3), and UK (2 but there are special scripts which will allow the UK capital to move to Ottawa, Canada and Alexandria, Egypt). So in short what this means is that if you capture a countries capital that's not in this list, and accept the creation of the Vichy France Govt system, then that country will likely surrender to you that turn you took it's capital. Hope this helps

After you have captured a capital there is also a 5% chance per unit that the country has left that they will not surrender for a turn. For major countries, like France and the Soviet Union, this is only 3% per unit. So you might have to wait 1 or 2 turns after capturing a capital before they surrender.

But I agree with scottsmm on this, if you are playing the AI there is no real reason to capture Norway. You would have to garrison Oslo and that offsets the plunder. Since Norway is already transporting all of its resources to you and the AI doesn't spend diplomatic MPP's to convince Norway to stop doing this, there is no real advantage in capturing it.

After you have captured a capital there is also a 5% chance per unit that the country has left that they will not surrender for a turn. For major countries, like France and the Soviet Union, this is only 3% per unit. So you might have to wait 1 or 2 turns after capturing a capital before they surrender.

But I agree with scottsmm on this, if you are playing the AI there is no real reason to capture Norway. You would have to garrison Oslo and that offsets the plunder. Since Norway is already transporting all of its resources to you and the AI doesn't spend diplomatic MPP's to convince Norway to stop doing this, there is no real advantage in capturing it.

Expect having ports this close to convoy to Russia can be useful at times...

Wushuki, I didn't consider that. I guess taking Norway is a waste of time and manpower.

In the last game I played, I left Norway alone and the British tried to capture it but I was able to get a corps to Oslo in time and held Norway till the end of the game.

I have to be honest in the hundred plus games I've played, I've always taken Norway in the very first turn I took it's capital, so I doubt it has a 15% of holding out (3 units, 2 corps, 1 destroyer).

One way or another Norway will never really decide the game so if you want to attack it for whatever reason go for it, but if you chose not to attack it, don't worry you haven't hurt your chances of winning.

One thing about Norway if the Axis dont take it the Allies(human player)might.The reason being is then they can go after Swedens mpps that are sent to Germany by either bombing or by an actual attack plus it opens the whole of east Germany to an Allied attack eventually.

Depends on what version of SC2 you are playing the politcal consequences the Brits.suffer of they attack Norway.(I know in P.D.E.if the Brits attack Norway before America enters its bad).

The version I'm playing is Blitzkrieg, haven't decided if I want Weapons and Warfare yet.

In the current game I'm playing I did capture Norway but I hate having to garrison it and I'm constantly harassed by partisans.

Now in the Mediterranean, try as I might I just can’t take Malta. I’m beginning to think that sending troops to North Africa is just as much a waste as taking Norway.

P.D.E.and W.a.W. imho are better games in that there is a little more realism and you will notice the very VITAL importance of railroads and the railheads like they really were.I think if you try them you will really enjoy them.

Chesster in P.D.E. and W.a.W.when the Axis take Norway then they get 3 free German Corps at strength 3 to garrison Norway.

As far as taking Malta goes,what you do is bomb and or bombard the port to zero(so he cant re-supply the unit)then just start shooting at it.You will eventually kill the unit.If you choose to use your Italian ships be carefull of the British navy.

You dont need Malta(it does make it easier and it removes a good spotting position for Allied planes latter on in the war)to take Africa.Just make sure you have an H.Q.with the troops.

Honestly try and fortify positions around Tobruk and deploy troops there, give them navy and air support, along with some HQ support and they should be able to hold out, from here you can have your major forces concentrate on Russia. Russia will decide who wins and losses the war after all, and if you focus on attacking El Alamein all your going to get is a jumbled mess of troops with little and sometimes no supply. Instead have these units destroy Russia.

I also second what arado said, WAW and PDE are much better then SC2 blitzkrieg, and for more reasons than just the rail road structures, and in fact I even think WAW is better than PT. The best thing about PT is its carrier improvements.

Note be careful about where you put your HQ in Africa, as in WAW and PDE air power can wipe them out and then your behemoth tanks, and ME 262 Jets will be running on very little gas and almost no ammo.

Taking Africa also depends on how you have Brtains surrender setup.If the British capital isnt moving to Canada then Africa takes on a whole new importance.Since Alexandria is the last capital the Germans need to defeat England then Africa becomes ALOT more attractive.

arado, that's not a wise decision if you attack Egypt when Alexandria is the capital. It's practically impossible to break the Allies grip then and their navy will be able to completely reinforce its self, not to mention the additional supplies the Brits will get, etc. Not to mention the British player would be placing new full researched units from the dead there. Bottom line, do not move on Africa if Alexandria is the capital, unless you've knocked Russia out and German troops move in a two pronged assault, one at El Alamein, the other through the Caucasus.

scottsmm you take Alexandria BEFORE attacking England,this prevents the Brits.from doing just what you said.

If the Axis have taken all of England out of the war and depending if the British defended England(that usually means they have lost alot)Alexandria usually doesnt present much of a problem then.

Interesting conversation!

I have a side question. Is there a way to switch the position of two adjacent units?

Example: unit A and unit B are right next to each other, can I move B to A's position and A to B's position in one turn?

Chesster

Okay so you're invasion force for Egypt will at least have a chance to work, but how much time will it take you to take Alexandria? I mean you pretty much have to invade the USSR by mid 41 other wise you'll face serious setbacks, as the Russians really produce a ton of units, and they'll likely have quite a few fortified positions by then. After this what about the US, you know there going to come with everything they've got, and now you have to defend one more place and stretch you forces even thinner then what the Axis forces where stretched historically. What this does is to handicap the Axis forces, as they won't be able to attack any area with full force, because they have to have a few units to defend there conquests. This is of course if you don't want to just hand the Allies back England and other places. Because you could leave these areas undefended, but once there re-taken you're extremely unlikely to regain them again for the Axis decisive victory script.

No Chesster, unfortunately you can't do this, but what you could do would be to move either unit A or B to a new tile, and then you could move the unit you didn't move to the position you moved either unit A or B, and vice versa. In short this is a big play on words, and I hope you understand what I just said.

Yes it is a basic, but when you think about it, it's not war changing in any way, so even if there was something for it I don't think it would change the game.

You could do it in two turns, prohibiting your enemy doesn't move any unit in the desired tile, or if you move both units you could make the one that was original on the left been on the right vice versa. Hope this helps in some way.

scottsmm im refering to P.D.E.not W.a.W.Believe me you can take ALL of Africa by early 1940.France is gone in 1939,no problem.By 1941 the Germans WILL have a big army and its concentrated against Russia.The Germans could also choose to attack Turkey in 1940 and open up two routes of attack against Russia.Yes this will get alot of countries mad but it sure would stretch Russia.