Tried playing again after a long absence

I disagree I believe if you knock the USSR out it's over, no matter what game you play SC1, SC2 and all expansions, and pretty much every other WWII war game out there. England although important doesn't represent the entire war by any means. In less you're talking about the small amount of time when England was alone in her fight against Germany. I mean honestly can you tell me one time when you honestly thought England was more important than either America or the USSR? In other words have you ever defeated Germany with just England? I would have to say chances are remote.

One of Germany's problems (Japan's too but that's irrelevant here) was that she spread her troops thin, and the Allies came against them with everything they had, and surprise surprise the Allies win in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Western Germany, etc, and as these victories took place it weakened the German forces in the USSR and with our aide the Russians painstakingly eliminated these hordes from Eastern Europe and the Motherland.

Every game ive ever knocked England out of the war(depending on German losses in the attack)ive never lost.The Allies(Americans)can no longer bomb or threaten France.They cant spot to see how well Europe is guarded.They really cant protect the Murmansk convoy route.Germany will be getting about 300 plus mpps per turn(in 1940 which will allow them to have a quite substantial army by 1941).Italy and Germany combined will get as much or if not more than the Allies(as Russian cities fall to the German attack they will recieve more and Russia less).Americas tiny navy will be no match for 8 plus subs and whatever surface ships survive the attack on England(not to mention the Italian navy).With England gone Germany only has to take Leningrad,Moscow,Stalingrad(which forces Russia to stand and fight and will end in their demise) and Russia will surrender.Germany can quite often achieve those goals with England in the game

True it definitely helps to knock England out, and that's why I said it's a critical blow, but the mortal blow is Russia. So what I'm saying is knocking England out will help guarantee a better chance in Russia, as long as you can safely move units to attack Russia, once you take the English mainland.

I have to be honest in the hundred plus games I've played, I've always taken Norway in the very first turn I took it's capital, so I doubt it has a 15% of holding out (3 units, 2 corps, 1 destroyer).

The formula I quoted came out of the manual, I guess its possible that they tweaked the values afterwards. It is certainly possible to fail to take Norway on the first turn you take its capital however. Although I don't have any real statistics about how often it happens, I have seen it happen in a game.