Normandy:realtime wego

kulik

I used the search feature on this forum, but was unable to find if something like this was suggested.

We have realtime and we have wego. While realtime provides more control of the battlefield in smaller battles, in larger battles it lowers your situational awareness (What does this pile of burning junk on spot where my striker was parked means?) and control of force bigger than platoon sized force is complicated and clumsy. And finally you can't enjoy the battle highlights.

Wego is slow paced and the force size doesn't matter, you can enjoy the highlights and you are always aware of what is going on. But when you make a mistake during your planing you stuck the 50 second to watch your men getting killed.

So,

i would like to see "realtime wego" system for TCP/IP play. It would be realtime gameplay with forced pause after each 60 seconds. This would combine the positives from both systems

You would be able to control the action realtime, while managing all your units during those forced pauses in reasonable way.

Two additional suggestions to this:

1. The pause could occur randomly anywhere from 0:30 to 1:30 - this would help to prevent the "step like" turn based planning we have in wego.

2. As im aware, in wego the turn is computed before the round and thus may be rewinded repetitively, so this one would be a bit complicated, but it would be ideal to be able to rewind the last turn. This would probably mean to getting rid of the blue bar and replacing it with some sort of record feature since you would be able to change the orders during turns.

Thanks

The whole idea of realtime takes an element of GOD MODE away from the stagnant like turn based mode. ;) Realtime means you are not everywhere at once. I think its good that a human element of mistake is added to the sometimes PERFECT chess matches wego offers.

Besides its nothing like company of heroes where you really can miss things the action is so fast.

All in all their must be balance to the god mode, learn to concentrate on the critical parts of the battle. Thats what a good general does with his god goggles.

I thought you could pause realtime mode and give orders anyways? Guess its not in multiplay.

Counterargument: but my guys are dumb, i have to obssesively control everyone of them at once. Well the enemy AI is dumb too and if its not then your human enemy is in the same boat.

The only real argument i can think of is the the AI can give counterorders to all of its units at once where a human needs to take time to do it. I just don't think the AI in this game is that smart??

+1

This would be the perfect system especially for H2H. Forced pauses or a time pool like in chess tournaments. The high resolution of CMSF battles, with 1:1 and very detailed terrain has somewhat made the classic WeGO looking a bit out of place. Units need more fine tuning and constant adjustment in positioning, orders and the 1min "no orders" interval is too much I think. On the other side, pure realtime is only suitable for really small battles and you lose all the fun highlights. Additionally, executing a well thought combined arms action is out of the question.

A hybrid of those two would be ideal. Now if we get a 30secs replay too, that would be awesome. I think there is something on the works, hope to see it in CM:N.

The whole idea of realtime takes an element of GOD MODE away from the stagnant like turn based mode. ;) Realtime means you are not everywhere at once. I think its good that a human element of mistake is added to the sometimes PERFECT chess matches wego offers.

Besides its nothing like company of heroes where you really can miss things the action is so fast.

All in all their must be balance to the god mode, learn to concentrate on the critical parts of the battle. Thats what a good general does with his god goggles.

I thought you could pause realtime mode and give orders anyways? Guess its not in multiplay.

Counterargument: but my guys are dumb, i have to obssesively control everyone of them at once. Well the enemy AI is dumb too and if its not then your human enemy is in the same boat.

The only real argument i can think of is the the AI can give counterorders to all of its units at once where a human needs to take time to do it. I just don't think the AI in this game is that smart??

That's i want to be able to control the game in realtime. The pause part would be just to coordinate troop action on other side of battlefield and to enjoy in replay how that panzerfaust took out that tank. Its shame to overwatch the battlefield from birds perspective and loose the small graphical details just to be sure you don't get flanked.

Platoon level...ok, Two platoons...problematic, but at soon as you get three and more platoons you will get punished not for your tactical decisions, but just for "being not there". It may suit somebody, but personally i hate it.

Platoon level...ok, Two platoons...problematic, but at soon as you get three and more platoons you will get punished not for your tactical decisions, but just for "being not there". It may suit somebody, but personally i hate it.

Rule of threes man, one platoon assaulting, one supporting, one reserve. Your reserve platoon should be good to go without much adult supervision, the supporting platoon you just got to make sure to turn it's fires off at the right time, and the assaulting platoon is the one you micromanage the hell out of.

At least that's how I do it and I play company level real time comfortably.

Liberal use of the "double click on the HQ" tactic seems to work well for me in real time :D

The platoon basically becomes a big blunt force instrument, with everyone getting ordered about as one large block. Its only when they come under heavy and constant contact you then begin micromanaging the individual squads, with the help of lots of pausing.

Company level missions are manageable, but they're not exactly a cakewalk, mind. However, I've never ever played a Battalion level mission sucessfully...are there even any Battalion level scenarios out there?

Draggable (is that a word?) waypoints would go much further in making realtime management of larger units more feasible. That way I can give movement orders to an entire formation, then adjust the individual unit waypoints as needed. I often find myself giving each unit 10 separate movement waypoints simply to achieve a different location for the final waypoint. If I could just drag that last few waypoints where needed, it would save a huge amount of time.

+1 to that. Also would help when you realise one waypoint in a chain is out of place - at the minute you have to delete it plus all the waypoints after it, then replot it and replot every single waypoint after that...Even explaining it is long and time-consuming lol so draggable waypoints would be a great timesaver.