Advantages to keeping organic squads together?

I've never seen any information sharing anyway. Or maybe I just don't know how it is supposed to work. E.g. if there is a a single US infantry squad on a ridgeline overlooking multiple enemy positions and the rest of the platoon behind the ridge out of LOS of the enemy but has communications with the rest of the platoon: will the rest of the platoon only receive solid question mark contacts through C2 or actual contacts like if they spotted the enemies themselves?

There was a big discussion about this ages ago...Have a search but if I remember correctly, the spotting squad will report the enemy to the HQ. HQ will get a question mark over the enemy location. Soon after, other squads "beneath" the HQ will also hear about it and get question marks.

The benefit of question marks is that (I think) A squad with at least question mark knowledge of an enemy position gets a spotting bonus should that enemy then "appear", for example, if they start moving around. They'll acquire them faster than a squad without foreknowledge.

Deselecting all your squads will give you a collected "best estimate" from all your units on what current enemy positions are.

Contact bonus in CMSF is certain more subtle than the 'hit over the head' difference when playing CMx1. In the earlier game it would be like herding cats if your previously competent unit dropped out of command contact. I wouldn't mind seeing a hundred page "What's going on under the hood" PDF book come out some day. Everything from body armor calculations to command bonus theory - all the stuff we know is going on just beyond our vision.

Contact bonus in CMSF is certain more subtle than the 'hit over the head' difference when playing CMx1. In the earlier game it would be like herding cats if your previously competent unit dropped out of command contact. I wouldn't mind seeing a hundred page "What's going on under the hood" PDF book come out some day. Everything from body armor calculations to command bonus theory - all the stuff we know is going on just beyond our vision.

You mean the source code. :D