ATI issues

Hi All,

It could be me being a bit of a dougnut on the search for the forum, but I couldn't find anything when searching for ATI.

My new machine a Mac Pro is saddled with an ATI 4870 <*sigh*>, when playing the Brit module I get frequent crashes to desktop, even with the ATI setting ticked.

I'm running the game under Vista64.

Does anyone have any solutions for this? In addition the ATI doesn't seem to perform as well as my old nVidia card - are there any easy tips to help performance with my video card?

Many Thanks in Advance

RobP

look here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=88201

someone with Vista posted that on the Tech support forum. I do not if it works since I have a Nvidia card/XP.

Thanks for the quick response. I did what the thread said and downloaded the 9.8 betas, but alas the game still crashes. It always seems to crash on the instant of a mouse click too.

Also tried the 9.7's but to no avail.

I wonder if there is a setting either in game or in the ATI Control panel, that can help to prevent the crashes?

RobP

9.3 drivers do fix the problem, current 9.7 drivers dont seem to work :(.

Ill try the ati box in CMSF options again with 9.7 drivers and otherwise 9.8 beta.

The problem with 9.3 drivers is performance in other games (arma2 for example) is much worse and many other things have been fixed coming from 9.3. So sticking with 9.3 drivers is not really an option for me and reinstalling drivers just to play CMSF is a bit too cumbersome unfortunately.

For Windows 7 I think this will even be a larger problem since there are no official 9.3 windows 7 drivers (although the 9.3 for vista will probably work someway).

Is BF.C aware of this problem and, suspecting ATI is to be blamed, can we as users do anything to make ATI extra aware?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. After much faffing about with the ATI drivers I managed to install the older 9.3 drivers and as stated here, they work! :)

I guess, until ATI sort their lives out on the driver front, we will all have to put up with using the much older 9.3's.

Thanks for putting me on the right track.

RobP

We're looking into what's going on and seeing if there is anything we can do to "influence" the new drivers. There have been no significant changes to the graphics code for v1.20 so it's probable that v1.11 won't work either.

The nVidia problem is, as far as we can tell, not something we can work around. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have a feature work for a video card for 2 years and then all of a sudden they break it. But unfortunately it happens very frequently :(

Steve