Street fighting

I managed to win the British campaign scenario where you are tasked with saving the Police station 2nd time through. First time however I got most of my Brit's whacked trying to get there. Brings to question...

How do you fight your way down a street? The angle of fire from a vehicle be it tank, warrior or whatever doesn't allow for supporting fire very well, without getting too close and risking RPG hits. Infantry heading down the road ahead of the vehicle are similarly often surprised and badly mauled before they can regroup. A dilemma to be sure. Assaulting buildings more in the open I've got a handle on, the mean streets are another thing entirely.

Yeah, I found using Assault Pioneers or even Engineers as my main "building clearing" squads worked well, because by blasting their way in they tend to cause casualties or at the very least make the enemy cower until small arms fire can mop them up.

That, and Assault Pioneers don't carry Grenade Launchers, which have a nasty tendency to fire indoors...at point blank range...wiping out both the enemy's and my squads :(

My favorite tactic when using vehicles with good armament and IR optics is for someone to pop smoke and then the vehicle area fires from behind the smoke. The enemy RPG's can't see or fire and your vehicle can shoot all day. If thats not possible, the next best thing is keyholing with armor when possible. Move into positions where it is only possible to see on enemy unit at a time. I like to lean on the armor and artillery in street fighting when possible, as infantry seems pretty frail. Oh, and send HE first whenever ammo and RoE permit. You don't necessarily have to wait for spots.

I dont' believe friendly-fire from small cal weapons / including grenades is modeled....?? Has it been in a patch since?

I've not noticed friendly fire from small cal weapons or hand grenades (thankfully), but rifle grenades do cause friendly casualties, which can be annoying when the grenadier decides to fire it instead of his rifle.

I've also seen heavy weapons (.50 cal and 7.62) cause yellow friendly wounded in a night battle, they were targeting light a trench which the inf were charging, the the round were going right above/through the friendly inf. I was aware this could happen at night under iron rules, but I was playing on veteran so maybe it was changed.

I think it might well be. I definitely heard the "pop" sound of a rifle grenade being fired, then moments later several WIA casualties on both BLUFOR and OPFOR are taken. So either the grenadier isn't recognising which weapon he's currently using, and that needs to be fixed, or like you said a 30m arming distance needs to be added for rifle grenades.

How do you go about reporting a bug officially, then?

If you notice something you think might be a gameplay bug, I think the best thing to do is post what you've noticed in the main CMSF forum, and one of the Beta testers, or even Steve or someone else from BFC will usually pick it up eventually. It might eventually get noticed here as well, but it's more likely to be pick up quickly in the main forum.

My understanding of the official line is that small arms fire never causes friendly casualties. This was done primarily to avoid having to program the TacAI to recognize fire lanes, etc. -- IRL, a lot of squad-level assault training is focused on moving in such a way that the moving guys stay out of the line of fire of the overwatch guys. Getting the in-game pixel soldiers to move like this would be quite a programming challenge.

But it is also my understanding that HE of any type, including hand & rifle grenades, most definitely can cause friendly casualties.

Things move really quickly in CQB, so it's often difficult to tell exactly what's going on. But if your observation is correct, and the game is having soldiers use rifle grenades at <30m, then this is something that needs to be looked at.

Ideally, I think the chance of friendly casualties from grenades in QCB should be heavily dependent on unit experience. Conscript unit should have relatively little coordination in QCB, and therefore more likely to accidentally throw a grenade too close to a friendly. In contrast, Veteran and Elite units should be highly coordinated in their QCB actions, and very unlikely to accidentally frag allies.

It's important to keep in mind that building interiors are abstracted, so when you see 6-12 soldiers on a single open floor in a building, they're actually probably distributed through more than one room, and/or moving through the rooms on the floor in a room-clearing drill. This is all abstracted in CMSF.

Cheers,

YD

I think you could be right on the Brits using GL's inside rooms and causing friendly casualties.

I did an assault on a 1 room building which it turned out to be empty with no other enemy external fire, but supressive fire from friendly nearby infantry and two Warriors.

The assaulting troops ended with several wounded troopers, particularly after the sound of a GL being fired!

I might try and reproduce the effect and if it appears to be a bug issue, post it in the main forum.

Ok just did a test with a tiny test map and as far as I can tell the Brits do not suffer any casualties from small arms and grenades, although for some crazy reason they will fire their GL's inside the building when given the Target command, I guess maybe Target Light is needed.

I do suffer friendly fire because they decide to fire their LAWS inside the building resulting in almost always 2 dead and a max pin effect which causes them to often retreat from the building!!!!!

Ok, further testing proves that Target light does not use the GL's or LAWS and is the ONLY safe way to assault a building.

Hand Grenades definitely dont cause casualties to your own side as one of my tricks is to target a wall with an Inf section from about 5 meters. Pretty handy trick if you really need to get somewhere and dont mind the expenditure as after about 30 secs the wall will come down.

Infantry can bring down walls? I'm going to have to give that a test! I suffer when my men aren't carrying demo charges during MOUT operations.

I suspect that will be the Light Anti-Structure Missile which Brit sections insist on carting around with them. I find it rather nice having different kinds of one-shot launchers in the squad for different circumstances. Never tried using them to deliberately bring down a wall though.

One thing I've learned to watch out for - your vehicles will fire at enemy troops even when in close combat with friendlies. Ouch. I had a friendly Warrior (and I use the term very loosely!) wipe out all but two of a British squad that was entering a building. Enemy infantry got spotted by the Warrior as they went in and it blasted away. Some consolation I suppose could be had as it did get the enemy too. I now put supporting vehicles in hide or give them firing arcs before close assaulting a suspected enemy position when the troops are getting close to the target.

• 2 weeks later...
I suspect that will be the Light Anti-Structure Missile which Brit sections insist on carting around with them. I find it rather nice having different kinds of one-shot launchers in the squad for different circumstances. Never tried using them to deliberately bring down a wall though.

Was it a bug?

Havent tried it yet with 1.2 but up to to this version if you infantry targetted a wall (not a building wall) then they would blow a section away just with grenades. Always found that strangely handy.....

Agreed, I tried it last night and it worked fine. It does take a few grenades but if your in a hurry and can use 1 squad to blow the wall and another to go through the gap its a good trick.

Sometimes playing the game is all about learning how the game works!