M1117 Armored Security Vehicle Family

Hello all,

For a little while now I have been catching glimpses of this family of vehicles in military photos. I just found out what these were today and that they have been used since 2007 by the US Army and they just bought 229 more of them. This family of vehicles looks like it would be fun to play with in the CM:SF series of games and I was wondering if you BF guys have ever thought about adding them in.

I especially like the M1200 Armored Knight version b/c they usually come standard with a 50/40 turrent (.50cal + 40mm Grenade launcher). They all come with IED jammers, something that the US would probably bring along in a war with Syria.

Here are three informative links for you all.

[Textron Product Fact Sheets]

http://www.textronmarineandland.com/products/land/asv_armored_knight.htm

[News Clip #2]

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/articles/20090802.aspx

[News Clip #1]

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htart/articles/20070305.aspx

"...Used by U.S. Army Field Artillery Combat Observation Lasing Teams (COLTs) in both Heavy and Infantry Brigade Combat teams" - Textron

You took that out of context, they were describing the M707, which is in-game already.

The U.S. Army is developing the M1200 Armored Knight to provide improved survivability over the current M707 Knight (HMMWV based Knight). Used by U.S. Army Field Artillery Combat Observation Lasing Teams (COLTs) in both Heavy and Infantry Brigade Combat teams, the Armored Knight will combine the proven Armored Security Vehicle (ASV) with the M707 Knight Mission Equipment Package (MEP).

"Is developing" means was not in service during the time frame of the game. The 200 or so that were in service at that time would have been assigned to MPs and FA guys pulling MP duty.

Okay, well I was in a HBCT and am currently in an IBCT and I can tell you the only people using the M1117 are MPs. The "Armored Knight" is what the MPs use for route security missions or whatever it is that they do.

It isn't part of the standard MTOE, but it has been used occasionaly depending on the mission. The A Co of my Combined Arms Battalion in Iraq had a set assigned to them for operations around Habbaniyah for the 16 months we were there. They loved the things.

I think those M1200 "knights" are brand-spanking new. As in just starting to take delivery.

There's some irony here. The M1117 AC was basically stomped on by the Pentagon when it first came out. They did not forseen any future use for them! Only a fraction of the original order was funded and these vehicles languished until they were needed in Bosnia. Iraq eventually revived their reputation. The reference to them being "RPG-proof" is the first I've heard of that.

It isn't part of the standard MTOE, but it has been used occasionaly depending on the mission. The A Co of my Combined Arms Battalion in Iraq had a set assigned to them for operations around Habbaniyah for the 16 months we were there. They loved the things.

I would say you guys were the exception not the standard. Though I see your point on the MTOE, the MRAP certainly isn't on it thought we had them coming out of our ears. I think the bigger issue with the ASV is, neither it nor the MRAP are going to be seeing front line duty in an invasion. The ASV is an Armored Security Vehicle after all.

I would say you guys were the exception not the standard. Though I see your point on the MTOE, the MRAP certainly isn't on it thought we had them coming out of our ears. I think the bigger issue with the ASV is, neither it nor the MRAP are going to be seeing front line duty in an invasion. The ASV is an Armored Security Vehicle after all.

Well yea, obviously...It's kind of been a concern I've had for a while...the military has invested billion upon billions building up this pool of theater specific vehicles that don't belong on any MTOE and have no real stated purpose once our current wars are done. It's kind of up in the air I think...I mean, noone has really answered the question of what we are going to actually do with all this equipment in our inventory when we've closed up shop in Iraq and Afghanistan. I think it's an interesting question to pursue...could they be integrated into our current MTOE? Could they have a place in a conventional war scenario? I could see the MRAP or ASV taking the place of certian HMMWV roles. You could easily replace the HMMWV's in a light battalion's AT platoon with either of the vehicles for example.

I think those M1200 "knights" are brand-spanking new. As in just starting to take delivery.

There's some irony here. The M1117 AC was basically stomped on by the Pentagon when it first came out. They did not forseen any future use for them! Only a fraction of the original order was funded and these vehicles languished until they were needed in Bosnia. Iraq eventually revived their reputation. The reference to them being "RPG-proof" is the first I've heard of that.

They are designed with crew survivability in-mind when it comes to an RPG attack...but that is not the same thing as being "RPG-proof". An RPG can still catastrophically kill an ASV...it's just the design features ensure that the crew has the best chance possible of surviving the hit.

Well yea, obviously...It's kind of been a concern I've had for a while...the military has invested billion upon billions building up this pool of theater specific vehicles that don't belong on any MTOE and have no real stated purpose once our current wars are done. It's kind of up in the air I think...I mean, noone has really answered the question of what we are going to actually do with all this equipment in our inventory when we've closed up shop in Iraq and Afghanistan. I think it's an interesting question to pursue...could they be integrated into our current MTOE? Could they have a place in a conventional war scenario? I could see the MRAP or ASV taking the place of certian HMMWV roles. You could easily replace the HMMWV's in a light battalion's AT platoon with either of the vehicles for example.

More than likely they will be either "sold" to the Iraqis or moved to Kuwait as PREPO like we did after DS/DS. Look at the fleet of M1114s, they are practically giving those away to the IA and INP.