So here is what I don't understand about the new CMBB/CMAK patches...

So you found somebody who proposed and through a deal along the lines of "hey dudes, you gimme the source code, I hack up the Vista mess, we charge 10 bucks and we share the cash".

Why on Earth didn't you do some token thing that would make non-Vista-lusers buy the thing?

The first thing that comes to mind is the resolution limit of 1600 horizontally and 1200 vertically, respectively. Now, I don't say that lifting this limit must be trivial. But you already have somebody hack up the video subsystem. So even if you assume the worst possible case, which is that you originally used some screwed up graphics library that you don't have control over, then lifting this limit still should be a snap if you go through all the trouble of doing a specific Vista DirectX patch.

If you had done that, there would be a much wider market for the patch. And as it is you all have those Vista whiners load down the support crews. The old gang that is still using an OS of their choice and armed with a 24" display or whatever is much more likely to just be able to fire up and use the thing.

I don't get it, to be honest.

I understand that any new patch, touching anything at all, is a huge effort. And it doesn't get better with the testing and distribution efforts that any new code out there requires. But what is the rationale for sweeping around other dirt once you have the mop out anyway?

I don't get it, to be honest.

I understand that any new patch, touching anything at all, is a huge effort. And it doesn't get better with the testing and distribution efforts that any new code out there requires. But what is the rationale for sweeping around other dirt once you have the mop out anyway?

You know since the patch came out I have been reading these threads and thinking 'wow I don't get it'. A whole bunch of people, losers to you I guess for even having Vista, have clamoured for something to be able to play CMx1 on Vista. Low and behold, BFC comes out with a patch restoring functionality for an old CM series on the new OS. What is the response from the likes of you and others? Not a simple thank you, no it is whines and complaints of $5 for a patch, DRM, didn't include this or that etc. Get off it man, get a life. Who are you anyway to lecture? If you are such an expert jump in with both feet and start coding, it's pretty damn easy to sit in the peanut gallery and act like a monkey.

You know since the patch came out I have been reading these threads and thinking 'wow I don't get it'. A whole bunch of people, losers to you I guess for even having Vista, have clamoured for something to be able to play CMx1 on Vista. Low and behold, BFC comes out with a patch restoring functionality for an old CM series on the new OS. What is the response from the likes of you and others? Not a simple thank you, no it is whines and complaints of $5 for a patch, DRM, didn't include this or that etc. Get off it man, get a life. Who are you anyway to lecture? If you are such an expert jump in with both feet and start coding, it's pretty damn easy to sit in the peanut gallery and act like a monkey.

I take it you have Vista? :)

I'd take the video resolution limit out. It wouldn't be the first time somebody recommends releasing the source (but not the game as such, in a Quake-like model where you still have to buy the original game to play with an executable derived from the released sources).

I don't care about the $10, although if was a Vista luser I would mind that my DRM-free CMx1 games are suddenly under eLicense.

I agree with Ron.

My guess, Redwolf, is that you work in computers or programming? Your prose is difficult for me to parse.

But for BFC to do anything to help us play CMBB--when it is in their financial interest, at least at first blush, to bury it so as to force people to buy new games--is admirable, and the kind of thing which make me applaud. My guess there gesture is out of sentimentality.

Frankly, if they charged me $50 to make CMBB compatable after Windows 7 comes out this fall, I would pay. (per my Moonshot thread, I am still hanging on to Windows XP)

But what is the rationale for sweeping around other dirt once you have the mop out anyway?

It's the same rationale which would prevent you from installing new windows and sidings and a new roof after you vacuum cleaned the house with a mop :)

Yeah, you're right. Philip had to spend a couple extra days of coding to make sure the resolution limit remains what it is and is not increased! Gah, you got me there.

I know, but why?

Ah, it's for the future $3.50 patch :)