Area fire with Javelin ?

Is there any "special" to do in order to area fire with Javelin ?

Here is my problem:

- recoil less gun spotted 400m away but now hiding.

- the area is visible by the anti tank team (LOS blue)

- I click/select the Javelin weapon and then do a Target of the area.

>> team is firing with their rifle (not with the Jav) ?????

Is there any "special" to do in order to area fire with Javelin ?

Here is my problem:

- recoil less gun spotted 400m away but now hiding.

- the area is visible by the anti tank team (LOS blue)

- I click/select the Javelin weapon and then do a Target of the area.

>> team is firing with their rifle (not with the Jav) ?????

First problem has to do with the weapon. The javelin is a fire and forget weapon system. If the shooter can't see the target, then the targetting computer can't either to get a lock. Now, in real life...and I'm not sure if this is replicated in game or not...the shooter can direct fire the rocket similar to the dragon or TOW instead of a top-down attack...but whether the shot is possible or not depends on what is between him and the target. In addition, I'm not sure he would take the shot to begin with unless he actually has something specific to shoot at, like a room in a building, since the javelin isn't an indirect weapon system. It would really be a waste of a shot and probably wouldn't have much effects on target.

It can be locked onto anything aslong as there is enough thermal contrast between it and the surroundings. For instance you couldn't lock onto a patch of dirt surrounded by more dirt, but a big rock sitting on the dirts might absorb/reflect enough heat to be lockable.

As pinetree said you need to be out of rifle range to area fire the javelin most times, sometimes they just fire it regardless.

Now, in real life...and I'm not sure if this is replicated in game or not...the shooter can direct fire the rocket similar to the dragon or TOW instead of a top-down attack...but whether the shot is possible or not depends on what is between him and the target. In addition, I'm not sure he would take the shot to begin with unless he actually has something specific to shoot at, like a room in a building, since the javelin isn't an indirect weapon system. It would really be a waste of a shot and probably wouldn't have much effects on target.

Yeah, the direct fire is simulated in-game and can be very effective against infantry in buildings. I'm not sure whether it's a "gamey" thing to do or not. I tend to use an awful lot of munitions in CM:SF. :)

. I tend to use an awful lot of munitions in CM:SF. :)

Thats kinda what keeps you alive :)

and we all seen the video footage of British units using javelin against snipers in Helmand, so area fire with Javelin is alright in my eyes. but I have been having a few times when the team refuses to fire on a area I want it to as well.

/Thomas

i got the same problem during an assault, a jav team was ordered to fire one round in the 2-story building 150 meters away, but they only used their rifles.

I guess that's because of the enemies they see. If the OPFOR is likely to shoot at them, the Jav guys won't target anyone. Once the enemy fire is gone or suppressed, then they use the big bang :D

I've had good luck area targeting with Javelin as long as it involves an object. A wall, a building, etc. Otherwise the guys pull out their guns. Quite awhile ago someone posted how many Javelins had been fired (up to that time) in Iraq. It was a LOT. A number with a lot of zeroes after it.

After some testing, here are some observations on area targeting with Javelin:

#1- Targeting only works on object (building, vehicles) => never works on terrain. Can not fire a Jav on a patch of rocks (even if you know that it hides a gun, a sniper and a forward observer...).

#2- Short range (<200m) targeting result in a mix of rifle and Jav usage.

#3- Targeting always requires blue LOS.

If BF could confirm that #1 is a feature (not a bug), I'd like to understand the rational for this choice.

Flanker 15 up above commented on the missile's automatic lock-on needing something to lock onto.

I'm reminded of the combat debut of the super-secret stealth bomber. The invasion of Panama back in '89(?). The bomber was ordered to drop a LGB between two barracks buildings in order to stun the occupants... and it missed! The laser needed some feature to bounce back the signal, it wasn't designed to target a big patch of nothin'. :)

I have used Javs for area fire on trenches before. I could not see the troops so I area fired the tench they were in. Out of 8 baddies I thnk 5 were killed outright with the rest breaking.

As mentioned before, if it saves some armor or a squad, it is worth the cost....

...Well as long as you have some to spare...i.e... either a stockpile somewhere linke in your LAV or you are pretty confident the armor is all gone.