When are we going to get a Forum on the New Game?

Aha, now I understand why you defend CMSF..so you are waitng for the dutch army :) Well I dont blame you. NATO would be a certain buy for me too. Would be a perfect addition to make some aegean conflict scenarios with Leo2s, maybe Leo1s, Marders, AT hummers, BMP-1s, BMP-3s and even cypriot T-90s. Symmetrical, balanced and with a variety of terrain from hilly/rocky islands to flat valleys.

But please dont get me wrong. Good scenarios do exist! They are just the exception to the rule. For instance I like MikeyD's approach with a lot of Red vs Red infantry battles, old T-55s and refreshing ideas and maps. Every scenario plays differently. I'm more bored of the specific textbook "go from A to B and try not to break more than two eggs" types of scenario, like we even care for folks invading foreign soil ;) This automaticaly makes the game look very limited to me and other ppl I suspect.

Who said CMSF is awful? Sorry for sounding like a thick head but its more than a matter of taste here and its not only a WW2/modern debate but a deeper one. CMSF more or less was a testing/training ground for the upcoming big thing which isnt other than the family of WW2 games. It was and still is a WIP. CM WW2 would be a WIP too but with a smoother curve from what I can tell.

I'm happy too, playing the game but funnily I'm more happy installing each new patch. For instance I waited for 1+ year to get a working TCP/IP function. I dont see how this would stand on even ground with the Normandy title which I expect to be an excellent game out of the box and superior in EVERY SINGLE aspect of gameplay.

Here is a shortlist of features promised for CMN that WONT make it in CMSF :

-Authentic and fully researched historical setting.

-Rather balanced oppositions and hardware.

-Complete new QB system with cherry pickin and other goodies. Now we get some funny combos of TOW-2 vs hordes of conscript AKs and the march of the light UAZ brigade.

-Both sides will receive the same care when desinging missions.

-Possible stock campaing from the "bad guy" perspective.

-Improved inf AI, animations etc.

-AT guns

-Ground AAA

-On map Mortars

-Hit texts

-kill stats

-Slower pace+less lethal weaponry = more unpredictability

-Random weapon allocation among squads

-More varried terrain

-More variety in buidlings

-More vareid weather

-Dynamic Water

-Bridges

-Complete overhaul of the vegetation graphics. No more disappearing trees once shooting starts or when drawing vehicle paths.

-Improved FX graphics.

-Unlimited potential of expanding the series covering the whole WW2 period.

-Pausing for online games (at last)

-Possibility to find more than one buddy online at the same time to play a TCP/Ip session.

-Possibilty of ladders and tournaments and all this stuff that is missing from CMSF and makes playing against the AI feel like watching paint dry.

And the list might well get much bigger once the game is released. I dont see how someone who thinks this would be a better product belongs to the WW2 vs Modern type of camp. I was one of the most enthusiastic regarding the shift towards modern. Middle east and all this cool russian (firstly) and then US hardware ought to be presented in a wargame. But now its time to go back to traditional values :-)

Wow that looks great. I can hardly wait for CM:N as I didn't care for CM:SF either. Just can't get into hypothetical modern day warfare as there might be one land battle skirmish before we blew Syria off the map and then it would just become another police action like iraq.

I find it amusing that more-or-less the same people who are crying for ever more exotic equipment in CMSF are also planning to throw the game over in preference for single-shot bolt action Mausers. :D It may come as a nasty surprise to some when, instead of their ultimate fantasy game come to life, CM:Normandy turns out to be largely an upgraded CMSF with peaked-roof buildings and without body armor. I don't mean that as a criticism, I'd be disappointed if BFC strayed too far from the CMx2 game engine concept, which is excellent.

That was originally the plan IIRC, however it has been toned down. Only features that are portable without any work will be ported backwards. Features from the next title wont make it back into CMSF.

Although there might be a small chance if enough people transfer $25,- to BF.C bank account using the reference CMSF FEATURE BACKPORT MODULE! :D

I find it amusing that more-or-less the same people who are crying for ever more exotic equipment in CMSF are also planning to throw the game over in preference for single-shot bolt action Mausers. :D It may come as a nasty surprise to some when, instead of their ultimate fantasy game come to life, CM:Normandy turns out to be largely an upgraded CMSF with peaked-roof buildings and without body armor. I don't mean that as a criticism, I'd be disappointed if BFC strayed too far from the CMx2 game engine concept, which is excellent.

Personally I'm not asking for more exotic equipment. And yes mausers would be more fun after these 13 men Marines squad that can bring down a block within few seconds :)

My expectations for CM:N are completely realistic. I've said it again..the base engine is impressive and keeps improving patch after patch. CM:N would be a dream game if most of the above list makes it in.

Oh and Steve has promised the return of missIDs, a so cool feature dropped from CMSF.

And lets not forget the huge skin moding possibilities (german armour/inf anyone?), with possible multiple skins. So yes, the ultimate fantasy game :D

Don't you just love how the internet seems to be a license for some people to have no manners? Here comes a guy, into the CMSF forum, and basically says "CMSF sucks, when can we start discussing CMN, without me having to read through all this rubbish about sucky CMSF". All the while ignoring the fact that a. there are actual people (20-30, if you include betas) who put years of their lives into CMSF and b. there are actual people (10000s) who enjoy CMSF quite a bit.

Thanks for your contribution to the forum!

Cheers

PS- to the rest of you, apologies for the rant, this ongoing thread pisses me off... must be the wait for Brits that's driving me mad (hint, hint BFC) ;)

Don't you just love how the internet seems to be a license for some people to have no manners? Here comes a guy, into the CMSF forum, and basically says "CMSF sucks, when can we start discussing CMN, without me having to read through all this rubbish about sucky CMSF". All the while ignoring the fact that a. there are actual people (20-30, if you include betas) who put years of their lives into CMSF and b. there are actual people (10000s) who enjoy CMSF quite a bit.

Thanks for your contribution to the forum!

Cheers

PS- to the rest of you, apologies for the rant, this ongoing thread pisses me off... must be the wait for Brits that's driving me mad (hint, hint BFC) ;)

CMSF doesnt suck for me but I know a lot of people who it does suck for. Its all subjective and when I hear soemeone say it sucks (or more rightly read it) then I just take it as their opinion.

I dont mind that some 'Beta' testers have spent thousands of hours for us on it, because they dont have to do it for me and I suspect that they primarily do it for themselves, for a huge variety of reasons ranging from getting a game early to the 'kudous' of having Beta tester in their title.

So let people have their own opinions is what I say.

However, I do think that CMSF will dry up both in the forum and with regards to scenarios etc as soon as CMN arrives. I dont see how the same guys can work on 2 things at the same time.