Reboot with PBEM and Win2K?

ianc

Hey folks,

My machine is a dual-boot with W98 and W2K server. I'm trying to migrate everything over to the W2K side so I can ditch 98 and free up a little HD space.

CM runs great under W2K, (have a TNT2 w/ 32 MB and am running the Detonator drivers) with the exception of when I try to load a PBEM game. I can load one of the scenarios, play etc., but when I select multiplayer and attempt to load a PBEM game, my machine reboots itself without fail.

Anybody seen this before? Thanks,

ianc

I haven't heard of this one in particular before, though most people running W2K are using Professional/Workstation instead of Server. I believe Madmatt may have Server setup and may check on this.

The most frequent problem I hear with W2K is the NVidia driver issue with text. Are you having any problems reading text in CM ? What version of the Detonators are you using (the text issue apparently still happens with W2K-6.50) ?

This exact thing occurred on a friends system I was trying to update (win2k pro, DX8.0a, Det 6.50). When I reverted back to Det 6.31 no more reboot when he chose join network game.

Also, I use win2k and when I force FSAA even at its lowest level, the transparent text issue is fixed.

TeAcH

Yes, I have both of these problems. CM played fine on 98 but since I upgraded to win2k, I get the text flashing and multi-player reboot problem. This is quite annoying. Each and every time I try to load a pbem, I could just as well have hit the reset button. I only play multiplayer CM so this has pretty much killed my CM experience dead in it's tracks.

I fixed most of the flicker problems by simply installing the 'gunmetal' HUD, but this reboot problem is unacceptable. Did everyone that looked at the page and read that win2k support was good just get ripped off or what. Don't tell me I'm going to have to reinstall back to 98 just to play my favorite game. That would definatly hurt my chances of buying any future Bigtime games.

Maugan

Hi all,

I also will try this as well and report back shortly. Sorry for appearing to be a troll by starting the topic and not replying, but I've been a little short on time lately. Thanks for all your kind assistance,

ianc

So, aren't you going to apologize to BTS for saying "Did everyone that looked at the page and read that win2k support was good just get ripped off or what. Don't tell me I'm going to have to reinstall back to 98 just to play my favorite game. That would definatly hurt my chances of buying any future Bigtime games."

It WASN'T BTS, but bad drivers from the card manufactorer.

Rune

I'd be careful with the 7.52 drivers. The 7.xx series under Win9x/ME has been a bit buggy and I'm not sure how well they've transitioned any new features to Win2K. They may have possibly fixed some of the problems, but I'm not sure.

Reactorcritical has a good set of TNT/TNT2/GeForce drivers going back to the 3.xx series.

Reactorcritical:

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml