CMx2 WW2 Western Front question ... and a proposal

Oh geez, not that again, please :D

FWIW Buffalos and the like bogged plenty, just a lot less than anything else.

Quite right, I did mean to say.....I was thinking it would need a new sort of class for bogging...not immune, but much less likely. Everyone likes discussing bogging, right?

• 2 weeks later...

I've put in an order.

BTW, years and years ago Bill Stone used to publish a nifty little newsletter called The Europa News, which was devoted to the eponymous game of the title. It was lots of fun and I was among the crowd that grieved at its passing. I still have all my old issues, sentimental fool that I am.

Michael

I'll bet you still believe in Santa Claus.

:D:D:D

Michael

We like Apocal because he is a very versatile poster. In one thread he can post very detailed, insightful stuff that makes us think hard, and in another thread he can post something that makes us laugh :)

Steve

OK, coming back and rereading my post I realize something was lost in translation from my brain to my fingers. I meant once you've completed the Western Front series, all the modules, all the content and such, is there any hope of something like a Combat Mission Western Front gold edition, with everything plugged into everything else? I mean, not much (if any) new content, just the whole thing in one shebang. It's modular, so it should just kind slot together, right?

It's modular, so it should just kind slot together, right?

That would be ideal. However, from the noises BFC has been making, I won't be holding my breath. I think it's been all but totally, absolutely, and irrevocably ruled out. In other words, it could happen, but not before pigs begin putting on air shows.

Michael

We think of things in terms of Families (collection of directly related releases) and Tracks (collection of similar topic/epoch Families). Currently we have Modern and WW2 Western Front Tracks, with CM:SF 1 Family and CM: Normandy Family respectively. Eventually we will likely combine all individual releases of a Family into a single release with a lower price than the individual components sold separately. But that will come about only after sales have played out of the individual components. Very much like we did with CMx1 games.

What we aren't going to do is combine Families together.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Aww...

So any chance of seeing this in CM:N?

What I mean by the latter is the player can assign Assets to specific Formations. This simulates Priority Fire. Say for example 2x 81mm Mortars are assigned to 1st Platoon, B Company, 1st Battalion. When a unit within 1st Platoon wants these mortars to come crashing down, he gets them pronto and with less room for problems. But if 2nd Platoon, A Company, 2nd Battalion wants 'em... well, he's got a lot of "hops" to do in order to wrestle control away from 1st Platoon. And yes, we simulate the chain of command up the Brigade level, so even though you won't ever have more than a couple of companies and some platoons at one time, they can be from different chains of command (if that is desired by the Scenario Designer).

I imagine calling for fire in CM:N is going to take very long unless you're talking about the actual FO, so this could be relatively useful.