CMBB or CMAF for first game?

Hi. I'd like to purchase one of these titles to explore the game better than what the demos allow.

CMAK seems a good choice, being able to mod Normandy and ETO.

But I've seen the many training scenarios JasonC has prepared for CMBB. So, for a beginner like me, that seems like the best way to go.

Your advice is appreciated. (Well, advice other than, Just buy both!!!) I'd like to start with one to see if this series is something I will really enjoy.

Many thanks.

CMBB has a larger array of units and nationalities to fight with, and covers the whole war on the Russian Front. For my money, its "the" CM title. But it's no fun if you want to fight as the US or UK. That said, buy both - you'll want to give both a go and they come as a bundle for a bargain.

Your advice is appreciated. (Well, advice other than, Just buy both!!!)

So, my advice is: Buy one. Then buy the other one. (Do your part to stimulate the economy)

Ok seriously: I think it really depends on what theatre you would most enjoy. For myself, CMBB got stale from the never-ending steppes, and Russians, Russians, Russians...

Remember that in CMAK you get not only Africa and all that sand, but you still get part of Europe (Italy, Crete).

Other than theatre, arms and nations, CMBB and CMAK seem to me pretty much the same game, but then I'm not a grog. I prefer CMAK, but that's because I like Europe as an antidote to steppes or sand, and I speak English so it's nice to play Yank/Aussie/Kiwi at times.

"Scope" - well if you mean it covers 41-45 and several minor nations that is true.

CMAK I think was served badly by some of the scenarios that came on the CD and suffered as a result. However it does not have the super-Stug problem, the main Russian gun the 76.2 was badly under-modelled in CMBB and fortunately we do not have that wacky imbalance*. Also the fortifications balls-up has been sorted meaning all the attack/defence type games play properly. And of course bogging and skulking are made more acceptable by being dialled down.

*The US 37mm is grossly overpowered and ruins several scenarios where the designer thought he was designing for a historical event.