Wow - this is like reading my own life story.

What is interesting about Eddie Chapman is the fact that the war made him a hero. If WW2 had never happened, he would most likely have spent his whole life as a career criminal in and out of prision, but because of the war, the british government could make use of his "unique" skill set.

You often see that phenomena in wartime, individuals who in peacetime cannot integrate in normal society because of their sociopathic tendencies, but thrive in a combat environment.

Regarding the attempt on Hitler's life. I have seen a few references over the years that the British government seriously looked into it, but came to the conclusion that it was better to leave Hitler in place making military blunders rather than taking him out and risking that someone more competent would take over.

Terrific find, thanks.

Yeah, seems like the guy just won the fate lottery. Small-time hood, inherently bright, happens to be living on the single English-speaking island the Nazis manage to invade. He's spent all his life breaking British rules, so breaking Nazi rules comes naturally. So he becomes a double agent.

I kind of wonder whether he was the British patriot the report made him out to be though. Sounds an awful lot like a story a guy like that would make up, just to keep his British handlers happy. No doubt he told the Germans something else, and his girlfriends something else again.

All in all charming, but not the sort of fellow you leave alone in the guest room with the silver.