Vehicle Markings Question

I think it means that the vehicle belonged to the 1st Civil Affairs (Battalion? Brigades would have a space or dash then an "X" following the "CA.") Then we can see it is the 108th vehicle in the HQ column but I'm not sure about the final "4" since I can't recall seeing a separate number following what is usually the company column number.

Late bit of info for you: check out this site to meet other guys with trucks like yours - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/post-viet-nam-desert-storm-vehicles/

Also, you can do a wikipedia on "us army vehicle bumper markings" and you will get a pretty informative article too.

Just guessing but could the 4 be people on-board [normally]

If so, that's a new practice - and a potential security breach, if you think about it. Plus a deuce and a half can only carry 3 in the cab - of course a lot more in the rear, but only one or two back there? Pretty inefficient.

To be honest, I've never seen a marking like it - and bumper markings are something I've always been attentive to for many years, since I started learning to read them as a kid overseas.

When I was a teen, my army sergeant father was assigned to Southern European Task Force, Verona, Italy. The unit's vehicles' left bumpers were marked SE-X, which was of course a source of tittering humor amongst us teen boys. But it started a hobby for me learning to decipher what they meant and I still try to do it when I see photos or the occasional army truck on the road.