Looking for Over The Reich and Achtung Spitfire!!

Goragg

Have you tried The Google?

Have you checked Ebay?

Have you checked for online game stores that sell used PC games? Check out NWS Online combat game store - they carry new and used PC games.

If you don't see what you want send them an email and they will try to get you a copy (or send you an email if they acquire a copy).

Have you checked local game stores? I haven't been to one ages, but last time I visited a Gamestop-type store they had 95-99% Console games in stock.

good luck!

:)

Yes I did check all online resources. I didn't check stores as that would be pure chance that they had one (the games are over 10 years old).

I was actually looking for some info from Battlefront on the status of this abandonware.

I managed to locate a copy anyway but was also hoping to see if there had been any more recent games that fall into the category. Turn based strategy has really fallen into no-man's land.

Yes I did check all online resources. I didn't check stores as that would be pure chance that they had one (the games are over 10 years old).

I was actually looking for some info from Battlefront on the status of this abandonware.

I managed to locate a copy anyway but was also hoping to see if there had been any more recent games that fall into the category. Turn based strategy has really fallen into no-man's land.

bummer about not finding a copy. As I mentioned above you shoudl contact Chris(?) at the NWS wargame site above and tell him what you are looking for these days. He gets lots of game in trade for credit and he can contact you if he gets a copy of either game.

Maybe we can bug GOG.com to see if they can get the titles for their store. They have old games that are checked to work on XP and Vista and the games have no DRMs. Good prices, too.

in fact...I see they have a new Ubisoft catalog at GOG.com...they know have IL-2: 1946 for $10USD. And it says that Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six are coming soon. I never played GR or RS, are they worth getting for $5-$10USD?

And it says that Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six are coming soon. I never played GR or RS, are they worth getting for $5-$10USD?

YES. Ghost Recon is, in my opinion, possibly the best shooter out there, especially with the expansion packs. It's far, far better than the sequels. Get it now. The original Rainbow Six was quite good too, for $5-10 USD it's worth it I think.

Maybe we can bug GOG.com to see if they can get the titles for their store. They have old games that are checked to work on XP and Vista and the games have no DRMs. Good prices, too.?

Indeed. GOG simply rocks. They sell the games the perfect way - cheap and no DRM. Without DRM all the MODs tend to work on their game versions, unlike other older games resellers.

Can't hurt to drop an email to them about the games.

• 1 month later...

You can find used copies of these at amazon and sometimes Ebay. I have legal patched Over The Reich and Achtung Spitfire running on a retro Win 98se machine. On a newer Vista machines I have heard that a MS Virtual PC host running guest win 98 works too.

The so called "abandonware" versions are not patched so you stuck with the unpatched version, but they do include aCD fix that allows them to play on newer machines without the CD.

These are both unique games, with a good AI and solitaire play they worthwhile reviving. I would love to work on the SC for these.

• 2 months later...

Sometimes you have to bide your time.... this is an older thread but I just re-bought a pristine Over The Reich off of Ferrengi-bay, I mean E-bay for $10.00 (I still don't know what happened to my original... it wasn't next to my Achtung Spitfire as it should've been!). And yes, it did take me a bit to get both working on XP at version 1.15 without resorting to virtual machines running windows 3.1 or 95. But they are more fun than I remembered for quick dogfights.