M240 question.

Well, one can assume that ammo would be a bit easier for the infantry to tote around in fifty round cloth ammo pouches. I recall the WWII German MG34 used a fifty round drum and that weapon had the disadvantage of a 900 round-per-minute ROF (Oops! Spoke too soon, M240 has a ROF of 650-950 rounds-minute). :)

Well, one can assume that ammo would be a bit easier for the infantry to tote around in fifty round cloth ammo pouches. I recall the WWII German MG34 used a fifty round drum and that weapon had the disadvantage of a 900 round-per-minute ROF (Oops! Spoke too soon, M240 has a ROF of 650-950 rounds-minute). :)

I honestly don't know anyone who has has their gas regulator set that high.

Lol, I wasn't being serious. Carrying around 200 round boxes sucks, nobody likes doing it. Though how that is a concern for pixel soldiers is beyond me...

I just meant the 100 round boxes. I can understand carrying the nutsacs for the SAW, being an individual weapon and having to run-and-gun with the rifleman, but the gun too?

I recall the WWII German MG34 used a fifty round drum and that weapon had the disadvantage of a 900 round-per-minute ROF

The MG34 could also use a 75-round double-drum magazine.

The MG42 had an even higher rate of fire. Though it was typically fed from 50-round belts connected to make 250-round ones, even when the MG-Schütze was on the move, photographs show that it was also sometimes fitted with 50-round drums.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1983-109-14A%2C_Frankreich%2C_MG-Sch%C3%BCtze.jpg

Someone (probably on this board) once posted the 'theory' behind MG42s high rate of fire. The theory was you get your most kills in the opening burst, after that your targets have gone to ground. Shooting infantry is like shooting rabbits in that way. So the MG42was designed to put a lot of lead in the air in the first two seconds when it would do the most good.

• 2 weeks later...