Does turning off VirusScan speed up CM?

Yes. The only question is - how much. IIRC there was a post where somebody improved his system removing several processes (Quickstart for Realplayer, Getright and the likes). Some of them really slow your system and are pretty much useless (except for a slightly faster load time they may gather information and make sure they use the associated files and not some competitors - plus giving some unneeded advice when you do wrong things like not using their products.)

I don't think virus Scanners use so many resources that it really makes a difference to turn them off. But if you turn off the VirusScanner make damn sure you are offline, run on a previously checked clean system and remove any physical connection to the internet or any other computer.

Gruß

Joachim

Are you 100% sure the router doesn't let anything thru while the scan is off? No loophole anywhere?

If not - do not stop the virus scan (I can remove a cable and thus cut off any connection. That is safe. Anything else is a risk). I doubt the virus scan uses more than 2% of your system. That's just not enough to take risks.

Gruß

Joachim

Some routers may have a physical switch that allows you to turn it off.

I'm not really a big believer in always keeping the "Auto-scan" function of my AV software on - IMO, it messes with too many processes and doesn't protect that well. But I do run a firewall (from www.kerio.com) and I have the AV program set up to automatically scan incoming (and outgoing) e-mail.