Want to go up in the world?

Dubai is OK for a couple of days. The climate during the monsoon is pretty close to hell, but then you're maximum exposure is just the time it takes to slide between an air-conditioned taxi and an air-conditioned hotel/mall/airport. And unlike most of the Middle East you can get a lot of cricket talk from your cabbie, who is invariably an Indian or Pakistani.

Yes, you can drink alcohol and there are some pretty nice bars to do it in. Most famous is the York (I think that's the name) Hotel. AKA "Four Floors of Whores" amongst visiting defence personnel on R&R from elsewhere in the Gulf.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I came upon this article published in April: The dark side of Dubai. Quite depressing read.

Sahinal Monir, a slim 24-year-old from the deltas of Bangladesh. "To get you here, they tell you Dubai is heaven. Then you get here and realise it is hell," he says. Four years ago, an employment agent arrived in Sahinal's village in Southern Bangladesh. He told the men of the village that there was a place where they could earn 40,000 takka a month (£400) just for working nine-to-five on construction projects. It was a place where they would be given great accommodation, great food, and treated well. All they had to do was pay an up-front fee of 220,000 takka (£2,300) for the work visa – a fee they'd pay off in the first six months, easy. So Sahinal sold his family land, and took out a loan from the local lender, to head to this paradise.

As soon as he arrived at Dubai airport, his passport was taken from him by his construction company. He has not seen it since. He was told brusquely that from now on he would be working 14-hour days in the desert heat – where western tourists are advised not to stay outside for even five minutes in summer, when it hits 55 degrees – for 500 dirhams a month (£90), less than a quarter of the wage he was promised. If you don't like it, the company told him, go home. "But how can I go home? You have my passport, and I have no money for the ticket," he said. "Well, then you'd better get to work," they replied.

If the Independent article isn't enough, then there's this piece from BBC: Climate of fear

Given the recent financial panic, it's likely that even if Dubai overcomes this depression it will be much harder for them to get investments in the future. And what if tourist masses don't rush to the city as expected? Not to forget what might happen if eg. some Al-Qaida recruiters infiltrated the slave labour camps and smuggled in some guns and explosives... a good ol' Roman style slave rebellion.

What do you think?

Given the recent financial panic, it's likely that even if Dubai overcomes this depression it will be much harder for them to get investments in the future. And what if tourist masses don't rush to the city as expected? Not to forget what might happen if eg. some Al-Qaida recruiters infiltrated the slave labour camps and smuggled in some guns and explosives... a good ol' Roman style slave rebellion.

What do you think?

It's a case of the slaves over here being glad for some "liberal thinking" inspired laws that haven't been repealed, ..yet.

Investment in high quality (or priced) buildings on low lying islands would seem to me to be a little too optimistic for most people's taste.

As far as the slaves are concerned, there is no way that anyone could come out of it alive except by the mercy of the overseers, so I doubt they'd seriously consider it. The Taliban are reported to be paying well (BBC I think, maybe The Australian) though, so they might be able to trade one hell for another (if they're militantly inclined).