Shotgun burst during RT play

c3k

Gents,

This was reported earlier, but I can't find the original thread.

Sometimes during RT play on a LAN, Mk 19's (and reportedly .50's) will have a shotgun like burst of fire followed by normal ROF. I can confirm this report as it has just happened. Since it was RT, no savegame.

It was Abu Susah; Red team hosted the game, Blue joined. A Stryker was firing on the Syrians when this occurred - more than once - with its Mk. 19.

Both computers are in the same room. I noticed that the hosting machine, Red, seemed to be at least 1-2 seconds AHEAD of the joining computer, Blue. This was obvious due to the sounds. I would hear an explosion from the Red machine, then, after the explosion, I would see one of my Blue squads launch a Javelin, take time to travel, and then I would see the impact and hear, subject to normal delay due to the distance of my camera to the impact, the explosion.

This time discrepancy was consistent over the length of the battle and consistent over many trials.

I mention this because the delay between the two computers may have something to do with the aforementioned shotgun effect. Perhaps it is an artifact of the "behind" computer trying to catch up?

Gigabit speed switch, Cat6 wiring, gigabit NIC's. (However, Blue computer is 6 years old, so processor is far outclassed by Red, which is one year old.) Network speed is not the issue in timing; processor/computer speed may be.

Perhaps this information is helpful.

Regards,

Ken

I can also confirm this in SP real-time with the .50. I don't think I've seen it with mk 19. Every time it happens it seems to be right after a frame-rate drop in the action. It doesn't bother me much as it doesn't seem to affect the gameplay as of yet, other than the frame-rate drop.

no! Steve, this wasn't a complaint about the mk19, it was plea to have you expand this behavior to other weapons. I think we all _loved_ the firepower increase. Why did you have to fix it?

Oh, the angst....

Oh, the thanks... :)

Ken

(P.S., to fix it, did you need to implement a HOLD command? ;) )