Embarrassingly simplistic questions re. Marines

Bahger

Gents, I just downloaded the Marines module and started the Campaign. I have a few rather basic things to learn, I'm embarrassed to admit. Could anyone help me out with the following:

- In a QB I found myself with 80% + foot-mobile only, including mortars. Should I expect to maneuver most of a "small" force of Marines by foot?

- Mortars: Always foot-mobile? Do they need LOS to target? Yes, presumably. And what are their effective min and max ranges, please?

- Sniper teams: They fire at will, which I found a little disconcerting in the first Campaign mission which is essentially stealthy. My guys appears to be lobbing M203s, too. Again, no big problem but is that what I should expect?

Thanks in anticipation for all responses...

1) Small force recon works well, but it depends on the scenario. For example in city fighting its border-line suicide and probably not worth whoever your sending to die.

2) There aren't any "mortars" in this game per-se, but modern mortars are foot mobile and do not need eyes on the target, but in past CM engines they needed direct comms with someone who is eyes-on. Generally the effective range is 100m although some can fire shorter, generally this poses a threat to the crew. Mortars can also fire straight up "maximum elevation" this is either to destroy the tube or to spite the enemy as being over run is imminent.

3) To silence your snipers "hide" won't work. Instead you must use "cover arc" and set it at a small range, this will keep them quiet.

- In a QB I found myself with 80% + foot-mobile only, including mortars. Should I expect to maneuver most of a "small" force of Marines by foot?

Even when you do have transports, the AAVs and trucks are very thin skinned and the LAVs don't have a lot of space. I'd say yes, expect to move on foot unless you're absolutely certain the area is safe. Splitting the large Marine squads up into teams, or moving them on "Assault" orders, can be very useful for moving them safely.

Now I won't leave them too far back.

Actually, that's not so bad an idea! Grenade launchers seem to far outrange the Marines M16, you could keep them some distance back out of AK range and lob over the riflemen's heads, to suppress the defending red side if to do nothing else.