quick battle question

McBane

I have been away from CMSF for some time now, jsut got back and installed 1.11. after reading some stuff on the forums about clearing out your QB folder prior to installing 1.11 I did, but QBs seem to be borked, enemy vees just sit parked at the edge of the map, in meeting engagements the opponent doesn't advance, is this due to poor AI or are they borked? I remember doing QBs in CMBB and BO and they at least gave you some challenge....

just wondering if its just me or do I need to set something different..

thanks in advance...

Since most people are now having a successful QB gaming experience I ask any one who is having trouble with the maps AI pathing to create a save game file and send it to me @ mark.ezra3591@gmail.com An AI pathing is generally easy for me to fix if I know which map is in error. While I have been rather painstaking in my review of all current V1.11 maps I could have missed properly setting up a pathing order. All maps were tested for functionality prior to being added to the patch. But NOT all pathing orders of every map were tested. That was due to an inability to select Do Not Use for the AI pathing order slot #1. It is something I will be focusing on for Normandy QB overhaul.

Cabal23: Sorry you feel that way. The response from many players...including some REALLY pissed off ones :) ... is that QB's have become playable. All agree that Unit selection just isn't what it should be. That is something addressed by BFC on the forum and will be changed for Normandy. If your comments are based soley on it's past performance why not give it a try. But if it's something to do about the current V1.11 QB Maps please do let me know. One way or another those maps are either my work or my re-work of somebody else's Map. So when they don't work as advertised it's on me. I want to do the best job I can for my fellow CM gamers. So it's NEVER who is right but WHAT is right that counts (by the way little phrase really takes the sting out of criticisms, too!)

I'm currently working on new maps and revising many of the exisiting maps for quality and content. So if anyone has trouble like McBane has described PLEASE make a savegame file and send it to me. If I can't fix a particular map then I'll surely replace it with one that does work...

Mark,

for one man, you do a hell of a job. I own over 100 games going way back to the early days of gaming and you and Steve have had the best forums and attention to gamers needs. I know you take a lot of ownership in what you do and I actually like the QB maps for what they are. If anyone has any real issues they should stick to scenarios or perhaps make their own.

The current V1.11 maps work much better for me. Yes, Unit selection just isn't what it should be... and will be changed for Normandy.

I am not a QB only player. I do enjoy greater randomness that can occur as in the old CMx1 QB options but CMx2 is so much better I easily trade QB for a better game all round. Falconander's suggestion of roll your own is appreciated. In fact making my own small, mundane scenarios helps me understand just how much time Mark, the QBG and all the scenario / campaign designers invest in their work. Thanks to all.

QB is not perfect but it is much improved in v1.11 IMO.

McBane, " I remember doing QBs in CMBB and BO and they at least gave you some challenge...." If you really want a challenge, toss some of the scenarios or campaigns that designers have uploaded. Actually, playing with the editor, making a home brew scenario in CMx2 can be a lot of fun. Hang in there for Normandy. Oh, Don't forget to lobby for the OS X versions of CMx2 too:)

I will say you have done a great job with the Qb's since I last tried them. However I did run into one small problem on a city map I had everything on random but its the one with a mosque and two other control point on either side of it. And the attackers start on the opposite side of a highway and they only moved 3 squads into the city, however I am pretty sure it was the fact that I was camping that highway with a tank company that caused them not to try to advance.

... I did run into one small problem on a city map I had everything on random but its the one with a mosque and two other control point on either side of it...

Oh...sure THAT one!...the map that was the meeting engagement or maybe attack or was that the City attack or meeting town? LOL...so you see sending a file can really help me. :)

There is only one Unit Group in a QB game (just like old CMx1) so when an AI movement order is given all units will obey. I tried to always use AI pathing as Advance + Active or when close to the Objectives Assault + Active. But the AI is also thinking and responding with the basic setup commands (elite Crack regular Green Conscript-- Leadership Quality ratios-- fitness and all those randomly sifting through the units. Of course, per Clausewitz, all plans are altered upon contact with the enemy! When setting many or all the settings to Random (which I enjoy to do, too) you can end up with some pretty scared/illiterate pixeltruppen driving those M1A2 and T90's. They'll advance with great caution and take their own sweet time doing it....All this JUST like old CMx1.

What isn't like old CMx1 is the AI will use multiple movement speed to keep the infantry and vehicles working in co-ordination....definitely not old CMx1, there!

Also CMx2 allows multiple plan pathing ability of the QB's AI. depending on the map style and battle type, the AI often moves:

1. Directly to the target using it's own chosen path from start to finish (like old CMx1)

2. Use a pin and flank maneuver of either the left flank, right flank or both...(this is totally CMx2)

So Start with the basic game, add the QB Map designers Pathing orders, the Human players actions and a dash or two of Dice Rolls and you've got yourself a war... ;)

As far as i am concerned if the "switching sides" problem can get fixed soon, then QB's are definitely playable until they get looked at again for the WWII game.

That's just my opinion, though.

This is not a map issue (something I could find and fix) but some kind of patch install problem. BFC is aware of the problem but thanks for reminding me to keep an eye out on this issue.

This is not a map issue (something I could find and fix) but some kind of patch install problem. BFC is aware of the problem but thanks for reminding me to keep an eye out on this issue.

I figured as much myself, so I downloaded my fresh install 1.11 patch from a different source than I had previously. It did not correct the problem, however.

A very odd bug, indeed.

Thanks, guess I have only played a couple of QBs so am still quite new at it, just seemed weird that the armor all parked on the edge of the map or faced the wrong way. lol.

thanks for the replys, trying to get some PBEM going, figure humans are more of a challenge:-)

thanks for a great product.

No worries Mark. Yes I did try it and it does work, but that is a loose term. It just seems to create very wonky units facing off against each other. The old QB system wasn't broken in previous versions of CM. Maybe one day we can go back to that or some form of it. Until then I will just keep making scenarios made for H2H. They are way more fun and immerse you with the briefing. Your work is KISS Mark. I always like the simplicity of your stuff. Me on the other hand, like to create much more detailed scenarios. I am certainly not short on scenarios to play and with the editor, if I get an itch I can scratch it by creating anything I can dream up. QB system really doesn't make or break the deal for me since there are a few options to work around.