The Quick And The Dead?!?

Say, what happens to threads around here? They totally vaporize after a few days?!??

Welll, that's a bit different... but okay.

In the thread I started about Mac OS awhile ago, (not long!), I think someone named.. "Wicky"? asked what OS'es I was on; I felt the urge to update my OS9 to the max, (although I already had the 9.2 "Startup disk"), so I've been in OS9 land for the past few days.

I now I have OS 9.2.2, and OSX 10.2.8 (The OSX is limited by the hardware, and the hardware cannot be upgraded on this machine. So I'm REALLY maxed out here!)

But I found, after googling and putzing around with Preferences and Caches and stuff, I can *sometimes* get back from OS9 to OSX by completely shutting down, then restarting with the option key down. Only works sometimes. And trying to select my OSX partition while in OS9 is NEVER possible; oh well. But at least I found a statistically acceptable method for getting back to X from 9, so I'm back in the CM business.

Thanks for responding, "Wicky" (sp?) and Michael Emrys.

Read this post before it's too late...

Say, what happens to threads around here? They totally vaporize after a few days?!??

Nope. Look at the bottom of the page when you are on the index page. In display options, you probably have it set to show posts from the last two days. If you change that setting to the last week, your thread should show up. That is, if you hurry. If you wait until a couple days after I post this, you'd better change it to the last two weeks. And you might start checking the board a little more often too.

Michael

Glad to hear it's running a bit better

I presume you've got an old beige G3 which is limiting your problematic OSX 10.2

Some other ways to sort it out - apart from a complete hardware upgrade

1) XpostFacto - open source utility that enables the installation of PowerPC versions of Mac OS X up to 10.4 on some PowerPC-based Apple Macintosh systems that are not officially supported for them by Apple.

2) G3 1Ghz processor upgrade

+ you'd need OSX 10.3/10.4 - I'd still advise picking up a second-hand dual bootable G4, (with OS 9 install disks) and reasonably up-to-date OSX.

Welll, that's a bit different... but okay.

In the thread I started about Mac OS awhile ago, (not long!), I think someone named.. "Wicky"? asked what OS'es I was on; I felt the urge to update my OS9 to the max, (although I already had the 9.2 "Startup disk"), so I've been in OS9 land for the past few days.

I now I have OS 9.2.2, and OSX 10.2.8 (The OSX is limited by the hardware, and the hardware cannot be upgraded on this machine. So I'm REALLY maxed out here!)

But I found, after googling and putzing around with Preferences and Caches and stuff, I can *sometimes* get back from OS9 to OSX by completely shutting down, then restarting with the option key down. Only works sometimes. And trying to select my OSX partition while in OS9 is NEVER possible; oh well. But at least I found a statistically acceptable method for getting back to X from 9, so I'm back in the CM business.

Thanks for responding, "Wicky" (sp?) and Michael Emrys.

Read this post before it's too late...

Wicky: I presume you've got an old beige G3 which is limiting your problematic OSX 10.2

No, it's an iBook-- the first release iBook, a Blueberry which executes an astounding 300 million instructions per second. As I've said, the "upgrade path" for this machine is to... buy another machine. Which I might, I suppose, but for the nonce I'm happy enough to have figured out a way to make CM a realistic option. Guess I need to get CMAK before CM goes out of business or something.

Emrys: Look at the bottom of the page when you are on the index page.

Eh... ok, I will. Still, this forum is not what one expects after visiting thousands of others like it on the web. At least there would be a "next page of threads" button?!? Not something to argue about though-- let's find common cause:

Emrys: And you might start checking the board a little more often too.

Well exCUSE me, I was just stuck in OS9 wonderland for a couple days, but you are CORRECT-- I very well MIGHT start checking the board a little more often now. I might just need FRESH PBEM VICTIMS, don't you know? Ok, I think I need to go order CMAK first, yeah? Prolly nobody plays CMBB anymore... (?)

I liked it, not many westerns featuring gambling on shootouts as the main plot to the movie. And an all-star cast with Russel Crowe before he was... well Russel Crowe. And that little pipsqueak Leo Dicrapio before he was famous.

I still think that last gun duel should of been......... oops, my bad, thought this thread was about the movie and not the Mackie. :eek:

QuickAndTheDead.jpg

Prolly nobody plays CMBB anymore... (?)

You should check out the Peng Challenge Thread. That's where the hold outs congregate and make polite conversation over tea and biscuits. They mostly play the older games. Of course, you will have to wear a beanie and a Kick Me sign for a while, but it's all in high spirited good fun.

:D

Michael