Maths and interesting things

Reading a fun book called:

"100 essential things you didn't know you didn't know"

One of the interesting things is the doubling of a sheet of A4 and how once you fold it seven times it is impossible to tear. That is straightforward. More interesting is that if you took a sheet of A4 and doubled its height each time as if folding it again and again after 204 iterations you would have passed out of the universe. Halving each time takes you to the lowest size.

It also suggests the character that Moriaty was based on.

Covers the match between Barbados And Grenada in 1994 were both teams were defending their opponents goal!!!!!? Its on Youtube for those who find it surprising.

And stacks of other fascinating anecdotes on maths and the world.

I don't understand why the thread was taken from CMAK forum to general forum, as this is CMAK-relevant:

One of the interesting things is the doubling of a sheet of A4 and how once you fold it seven times it is impossible to tear.

Italians knew this before WW2 and also that the result would be impenetrable for any armour-piercing shells, so they implemented it to their tank designs. Unfortunately due to manufacturing problems they couldn't fold the paper, and thus M13 tank was born.

: ) Italian Tanks

My bad spelling Moriarty - Sherlock's enemy. Based probably on Adam Worth, german born American who fled to Europe when it got too hot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Worth

PS rather bizarrely after I had done the original post I went downstairs for lunch and we watched QI a very good interesting funny programme chaired by Stephen Fry. As part of the questions to the panellists it asked how many times could you fold a sheet of paper : )

Apparently using really thin toilet paper an Americam girl managed 12 folds. She also produced a formula for the folds maxima. You will be pleased to know that I got the answer 6 correct. : )