Campaign Maps

How are the operational and theater maps of Syria used in the TF Thunder Campaign made? They have a very distnct feel, and I want my scenarios to fit in with the ones that shipped with the game. Is it a special program or is it just some cool looking maps with some blue and red arrows pasted onto them in Paint. :P

Any and all help is appreciated.

Happy New Year :)

Enjoy!

http://www.historicalsoftware.com/HSC/HSCmilsketch.htm

Cheers fur noo

George

ps to get your base map image you take a screenshot - either in the editor 2D view, or go for a high level screenshot in the 3D view. Then save the screenshot as a BMP file, resize as appropriate for the map insert e.g. tactical, operational etc

Wow Cpl Steiner - that looks really useful! How do you open the files? Do I need to get my hands on some GIS software?

Also, George MC - is there a way of getting soviet style markings for the Syrian sides briefings?

This is all great stuff, I was just thinking of how to get military maps and markings and a few hours later the forum provides! Thanks guys

Wow Cpl Steiner - that looks really useful! How do you open the files? Do I need to get my hands on some GIS software?

You can download two types of files from that site. One is some sort of "Georeference" file, which is plain text in some form of XML-style markup language. I think if you had the professional version of Google Earth you could import those into it, but the professional version costs thousands of dollars, so I'm in no position to find out! If anyone out there has the full version of GE, perhaps they could let us know how they are used.

The other type of file is just a straight-forward topographical ("contour") map in .GIF (graphical interchange) format. These aren't copyrighted by anyone but have Russian text on them. When the Russians were "allegedly" bent on World Domination, they mapped the whole globe using spies etc., but since the Soviet Union didn't sign up to the "Berne Convention" on copyright, all of the maps are "public domain" now. Feel free to use them anyway you like, including as graphics for briefings.

I just tried again and I realised I was being stupid. I actually have used those georefrence files before (different extention though). They provide elevation data which you can load onto some software (I used arcGIS but maybe GE professional would work). The acompanying image provides an overlay.

I used it to help design a dam but it wouldn't be so great for CMSF, the image would be just fine!