HQ Attachments

Can someone expand upon how HQ attachments work? I like using manual mode, and am currrently playing a PBEM as Japan. I have moved a couple of units from Manchuoko to China (none that affect the garrisoning rule vis a vis USSR). One unit, the 1st Tank Army, will not attach to an HQ. It's readiness is about 45, and action points are 3. Do either of those numbers have any bearing on this issue?

I find this occurs from time to time with other units too. An example is SNLF units seem to be capable of being attached to HQ's---sometimes; and sometimes not. Very difficult to find the common denominator to this problem.

TIA.

When you set an HQ to manual it means that you have to chose the units that are it's attachments. You also are responsible for monitoring your units, because if they are 6 or more tiles away from the HQ the bond is broken, and you would then have to reattach or attach a new unit to that HQ. As for action points, and readiness they have absolutely no effect what so ever on HQ's, and it's attachments. Actually let me rephrase that, because readiness, and action points are a direct result of supply values, HQ's, and a few other things. Point I'm trying to make is that action points, and readiness don't effect HQ's, and it's attachments. I'd recommend just leaving HQ's in auto unless your a decently experienced player, because it's a lot easy (AI does it for you).

Hi Happycat

I use auto-assist, as that way if you forget to attach a unit, the game engine will do it for you.

I wonder if the issue is that the HQ already had its full quota of attachments, so it might be that you needed to deselect a less important unit before you could attach a higher priority one?

Thank you both (Bill101 and Scottsmm) for your replies. I am a very experienced and methodical war gamer, so I have already ensured that the armor unit is close to the HQ and that the HQ is within quota (in fact, only has two other units attached). So there is something else at work here, and I am wondering still if effectiveness, supply or action points has some bearing.

Maybe I will send the save game to Hubert to look at. Thanks again.

definitely true. I didn't think of that. This topic though is becoming both technical, and could be's. Therefore let's settle it at just leaving your HQ's in auto assist. Which in turn will resolve all issues with as little work as possible. Off subject go Jets, and Baltimore (we want that division) if not being 11-5 should get you a playoff spot.

I just had a thought! There is one thing that would stop you from attaching it: if it has already used up its action points, as HQ attachments can only be amended before you use a unit.

Could that be the answer here?

Nope. I do my HQ attachments first, as Scottsmm refers to in his post. The unit tells me it has 3/4 action points available (why there is one missing, I have no idea). Anyway, I emailed Hubert with the saved game, so I am sure he will look into it. Incidentally, I have also tried auto-assist and that makes no difference unfortunately.

Nope. I do my HQ attachments first, as Scottsmm refers to in his post. The unit tells me it has 3/4 action points available (why there is one missing, I have no idea).

Most likely because the unit was not fully supplied as of the start of the turn. Although I think I've had some odd occurances of not fully supplied units having all their action points, and being able to elite upgrade.

Most likely because the unit was not fully supplied as of the start of the turn. Although I think I've had some odd occurances of not fully supplied units having all their action points, and being able to elite upgrade.

I tend to think you're right; supply has certainly seemed to have an influence on reinforcement, so why not on other actions as well? Some of my SNLF's are in relatively low supply, approximately 45% effectiveness, and quite unable to reinforce at all. It's going to take me a LOOOONG time to create my island buffer zone.

Well, it turns out that everything here is wad. Hubert emailed me and advised that because my unit is in a mountain hex, it is actually outside of the HQ's range. The manual says "within range of five tiles" but the actual mechanics are that the range between HQ and subordinate formation is measured by action points (movement cost, I suppose?). So although my unit is within five tiles, it is actually 7 or 8 ap's away from the HQ.

In a subsequent email, Hubert has clarified this further for me and us: the distance between HQ and subordinate unit is five CLEAR terrain hexes, modified downwards by any applicable terrain penalties. To quote from the email message:

So if it is clear terrain then it would be a range of 5 tiles, if the

shortest path to a potential unit for attachment includes 1 mountain

tile then you have to include the movement cost of that mountain tile

and as a result it reduces the range in that direction by 2 as mountains

cost 2 AP etc.

Therefore, and as Stitch pointed out previously, ZOC is a terrain penalty and would have an effect upon HQ attachment distances.