AA tech not applicable to ships?

Perused the manual, noticed that Naval Warfare is the 3rd upgrade available to carriers. Shouldn't warships have AA upgrades available to them? Both the Japanese and Americans realized the folly of putting cruiser-level guns on their CVs, and both the Lex and Sare and Kaga and Akagi had their low-angle guns replaced with dual purpose 4-5 inchers. The Americans perfected the proximity fuse, which meant a wall of death faced any Japanese aircraft which dared to attack them. The non-CV units have one upgrade slot left. Is this amenable in the editor, or is there a gameplay reason why AA was not put on ships?

Researching Naval Warfare will improve your ships' protection from enemy bomber attack (either from land based or carrier borne aircraft) whereas air defense only protects your ships from fighter attack, and as fighter attack against ships is already pretty poor, and doesn't benefit from any upgrades, no boost here is really needed.

But we all do agree with John DiFool the 2nd that it would be a VERY NICE option to let naval units get something out of AA research, don't we?

Naval Tech is nice, but it is a somewhat whishy-washy tech as well, isn't it?

We do have an AA tech, but ships don't use it?

Even though there were AA-CLs and the described advances in Naval AA equipment and installations.

In my opinion we need more or other techs in a PTO game than in an ETO game. The whole game plays much more at sea, so we should get more naval techs to research.

Just my thoughts, of course.

Good in concept but I think this one could be filed under a minor detail that would just add an unnecessary element to gameplay. Bill pretty much nailed down the whys. You'll have to play the naval aspect to get an idea of how different it feels from other SC games. There'll be plenty other things you'll be worrying about when engaging in pitched carrier and naval battles. ;)