Rock around the block - awesome!

After reading through this thread I just had to fire this one up.

Just started it, but first impressions: what a cool map! Excellent, birdstrike.

And action from the off, too. One of the first times I've witnessed a Humvee being truly effective. Usually, in my experience, they get taken down too quickly by just about anything, but this one raced in, taking fire, opened up, and shot up a Toyota with a few solid bursts. I can see this is going to be quite a battle (I'm playing as Blue), and am really looking forward to completing it.

Thanks for the comments! :) I hope you'll enjoy the rest of the battle aswell.

The Humvees are also a good way to protect your flanks, while using the Brads for the main assault.

The Humvees are invaluable in the scenario I think. They free up your main combat force to do their job while they perform security which is essentially what battalion scouts do when they're not performing their recon duties.

Finished it. Great fun! Very full-on street and house-to-house battles. Excellent stuff. I got a major victory as Blue, with 9 men and 2 Humvees dead (yep, those Hums did a good job but, in the end, paid the ultimate price).

***Spoiler****

Enemy eventually surrendered without me needing to take the Victory Locations, and I didn't need the Abrams either - but I didn't know that until I got the surrender.

I'd like to play again. Just wondering if there's more than one AI attack plan?

Next up, I'm gonna play it tomorrow as Red and see how that pans out. Should be a major challenge.

Just downloaded the new version of Paradise Road, too.

These should keep me busy till PT's Dimas campaign comes out.

Thanks, birdstrike. Really enjoyable stuff, and quite different from any others I've played.

Thanks, guys. Part of the fun of designing scenarios is to hear people enjoy playing them. :D

handihoc,

can't remember exactly, but I think there are 4 different AI plans. For Red, this mainly affects starting positions (since there isn't much of movement for the defender). Blue AI plans use different lines of approach, or split up forces in different ways.

• 3 months later...

Hey, birdstrike, thanks for making all the good scenarios you've made, including this one. :)

Last night I played it as Red for the first time. I felt like I didn't do very well, as I lost all the men who were in and immediately around the command posts as well as all my technicals, though I did manage to take out all the Bradleys and Humvees. The "brethren" groups managed to fare rather better, since I was able to use them to outmaneuver Blue and hit his infantry from behind and to the sides.

That said, am I the only one who is irritated by the TacAI's wasting of grenades on unmanned (and in some cases unarmed) vehicles? I hurried a couple of the "brethren" groups past where the Bradleys and Humvees enter (on the far end of the map from Blue's starting area), and each group used about a dozen grenades trying futilely to take out the two weapon-less Humvees parked there (and trying to do so from 5 meters away, no less). What do y'all think -- would it be reasonable for the infantry TacAI to be adjusted so units don't waste their handgrenades on vehicles which they are unlikely to take out that way?