Almost ready... CM:SF Mod Manager!

I've been working on a mod manager for cmsf. Since I haven't yet seen one, I thought I'd throw something together and see if I could get it to work. It seems to work quite well!

The only catch: It's a Microsoft Access application. So you either need to have Microsoft Access or you need to download and install the Microsoft Access Runtime. This is because I only know how to program in vba.

A volunteer with Access or the Access Runtime would be helpful.

Otherwise, it should be available soon. I've got infinite ideas for it, but only so much spare time to work on it. If enough people like it, I'll keep improving it. Right now, I'm pretty stoked on how easy it works.

SeaBee, since I've worked with VB and Databases some years ago for third party without Access and this stuff on their PC, I would recomment you something else! There's free software to create installer packages for VB, which helps you to include all necessary DLLs and stuff. One of the very first problem I encountered for example was that the people who should use my software wasn't even able to start it, because they hadn't even the VB runtimes on their PC, nor did they know what a DLL is and what to do with it! Always expect the Dumbest Possible User!

From the OS X, CM1 side, "Pavlov's MacModganizer" was an essential tool in easy and rapid "Mod Whoring" for the old OS 9 Mac world.

Now with CM2, 'Booty Camp', a FightingSeabee mod manager for cmsf would be very welcomed even for the Dumbest Possible User.

"If you have Access or Access Runtime, it should work."

I don't know if this in my 'Booty Camp' partition but if I can be of help I volunteer FightingSeabee.

CogNative.. next to the most ... Dumbest Possible User:o

BTW: Scipio, Thanks for your great work as well. I just repacked some of your work into a brz today. works great and less clutter in the Z folder.

Forgive my ignorance, but what will a Mod Manager do?

I have just about EVERY mod ever made for cmsf sitting in a folder. Some of them are .brz files, some are folders full of textures, and some are just textures. After a while, they start to become a cluttered mess, and my z folder looks like a file dumpster. Then I start to lose track of what goes with what, etc.

So, I decided it would be fun to create something that organizes that stuff. In this mod manager, you can load mods into the z folder, take them out, name them, rate them */5, and see which ones are loaded.

Ever see a scenario that might require a certain mod (there are many)? With this mod manager, you can write notes that will let you know what goes with what scenario.

I think the tool will be useful to a lot of us cmsf'ers who love to try different mods.

CogNative, I'll PM you. Anyone else interested, let me know and I'll email it to you.

As in loading certain mods or groups of mods for playing a certain scenario?

QUOTE]

Yes. In its current state, you can select mods for each scenario that you want to use for that scenario, but it does not load them for you..... yet. That's the next part I need to work on this weekend. But as it is now, it's still quite useful. The one thing I won't do is to be able to tell what mods conflict with eachother, etc. That's a little more programming than I am willing to do.

It should be interesting to see reactions from users; I can't wait!

Hi,

The mod manager is darn near complete. I've added some more features that were necessary for a good mod manager. The only bad thing, you need Access 2007 or Access 2007 runtime to fully use it.

The Access 2007 runtime is a free microsoft download. Just google it.

Right now I'm just testing and cleaning up some rough edges, but it's looking good! I actually used it successfully, including loading mod sets for any particular scenario!