Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Pacific Theater - AAR

We just posted the first AAR for the upcoming release that covers the 1944-45 Philippines Campaign. This one was written by Robert Carver, the campaign designer, and while there are a few more planned, this is the first and it can be found under the Battlefront Blog at the following link:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=SC-WW2-Pacific-Theater-AAR-1944-194-Philippines.html&Itemid=213

Enjoy,

Hubert

Sombra,

Good catch – the Japanese did take all the blows. I think there are two things are at work here. One, I made the game historical - which does put the Japanese at a disadvantage. Second, I built the scenario - so I know how to take either side apart.

Your point is on target; I will remember this if I am ever asked to do an AAR again!

Thank you for the feedback:).

Robert

I would hope that some units which I would call Icons will be increased in strength such as the Yamamoto, Interprise CV6 ect.. This will add both realism and some personal interest in seeing them be sunk versus a standard vessel of that class.

I don't see any problem with an historical conclusion, just adjust the victory conditions accordingly for an even playing field.

Example: Satisfying the historical results designates a tie.

Perhaps program a couple of what if/alternative battle plans for each sides choice with a different set of victory conditions. Neither knows the others choice.

Rocko;

You will find that the Yamamoto is the strongest surface ship on the map!

I believe the USS Enterprise (CV-6) was with the Third Fleet, off the map, heading north to intercept the Japanese carriers.

SeaMonkey;

I was discussing the proper assignment of victory conditions today. We’ll have a challenging game for you!

Thanks for the input guys!

Robert

Sombra, I'll reiterate what Robert mentioned in that this is a historical campaign in which the Japanese were at a significant disadvantage. Think of it like a Battle of Berlin scenario where the Germans have little hope of victory against superior Allied forces.

For reference the following Wiki entry shows that the Japanese, in real life, also suffered tremendous casualties (24 o 1) relative to the US forces:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippines_campaign_(1944%E2%80%9345)

Casualties and losses

14,000 killed (USA)

336,000 killed (Japan)

That being said as the Japanese you are really forced to scramble in that the challenge is not IF you are going to lose but WHEN you are going to lose. The timeline is the real challenge in this campaign and if you can hold onto Manila and Clarkfield before the campaign ends then Victory is yours :)

SeaMonkey,

As Robert mentioned we are discussing the Victory Conditions for all the campaigns but for this one I would still be in favour of having the campaign end in a Major Victory for the US if they reach the historical objectives. I only suggest this as I think it would feel odd for the US player to achieve all its objectives and have the game report this as a Stalemate/Tie. Rather I prefer to see the Japanese acheive Minor or Major Victories if they hold on to their objectives in the alloted time etc.

I do like the idea of alternate objectives but I am not sure if this can easily be done via the Editor as we now have a new system of highlighting the GOAL positions for each side so the objectives are clearly definied when viewing the map.