Buliding IEDs exist in CMSF?

meade95

Curious, do large Bldg type IEDs (expolsive rigged structures) exist in CMSF?

I was just playing a mission and had cleared a house of all enemies (I thought) with the possible exception of someone left on the third floor.....and all of a sudden the Bldg collasped......all KIA.....

I did not have a CAS mission on this Bldg....?? I did have quite a bit of Target fire on the bldg prior to the Assault....

I recall someone excitedly announcing he had discovered a way to place IEDs in buildings (place the IED first then the building on top). It looked like a good method to simulate booby-trapped buildings. But I can't recall playing a scenario that actually used his booby-trap technique. There might be one out there but I haven't run across it. An alternate theory could be a hidden IED car might've been parked close against the building. An IED car seems pretty much invisible in the game (blends in with normal traffic I guess) until it does something 'suspicious' like accelerate in the direction of a foot patrol.

Place the IED on the map first. Then put the building on top of the IED. Viloa a very explosive building. Place the trigger man near or in the buidling.

My "Safehouse" VAAR featured exactly this technique. I assigned the trigger man to an AI group all on his own and had this group set up in the top floor of the building, hiding. The guy triggers the explosive as soon as a US squad approaches the building. Works pretty well every time. :)

I recall someone excitedly announcing he had discovered a way to place IEDs in buildings (place the IED first then the building on top). It looked like a good method to simulate booby-trapped buildings. But I can't recall playing a scenario that actually used his booby-trap technique. There might be one out there but I haven't run across it. An alternate theory could be a hidden IED car might've been parked close against the building. An IED car seems pretty much invisible in the game (blends in with normal traffic I guess) until it does something 'suspicious' like accelerate in the direction of a foot patrol.

I lost two squads to something very similar one time. The soldiers stormed the building and there was a vehicle IED parked next to the building. When my guys reached the side of the building as the car-bomb I think one of them took a shot at it. Kaboom! Everyone was knocked out. I was terribly unhappy.

Yeah I also saw it blow up too SeaBee when I played the scenario. I have messed around with IED before and it is very hit or miss. I have a scenario I am working on where a building blows up soon as the scenario starts. I have a trigger man start near a US unit, so in theory soon as the scenario opens up the trigger man's A.I. should trigger the bombs I placed allaround and under the building. I would say it only goes off 1 out 5 times and that is with a cell trigger man. Also a lot has to do with what type of trigger man you use. A cell phone has a much high probability to go off than say a wire or radio trigger. I think IED's should be sketchy considering the people behind them are rarely trained in the use of explosives properly. I just hope for the day they have vehicle flavor objects(what a novel idea??? I mean who was the smart guy who thought an air conditioner made a better flavor object than a car?) and then you can hide your IED amongst other cars without giving it away. As it stands now you really have to suspend your disbelief to imagine walking past the only car on the map and thinking it won't blow up in your face. I think IED's in their present form need a bit of work.