CDV version and Battlefront version

Timber

Yes, SS are called SS not waflegrendiers. Also, IIRC the CMBB version of the CDV version has huge patches in comparison to the BFC version for some reason. Any of the mods or extra scenarios that come with the CDV version can be downloaded from a number of fan sites, so unless you don't mind downloading them there is another reason not to get the CDV version. Either way you get a good game.

As Pzman pointed out the CDV version has been 'edited' to conform to German law regarding Nazi symbols. Thus SS are renamed to 'Waffengrenadier' or something to that effect and there are no swastikas (though there really isn't any with the default bitmaps of the Battlefront version either).

The reason for the big patches for some of the CM series is that the CDV release got an earlier version of the code (CMBB), while the Battlefront version was released with more updated bitmaps, etc. Also the CDV patches are often 'multi-lingual' with bitmaps and executables for German, French and English.

The copy protection is different between CDV and Battlefront. Thus you would be unable to use the CDV version of the CD to play a Battlefront install (on the hard drive).

Until CMAK the manuals for the CDV version were also smaller - being dependent on a PDF on the CD to provide the full version.

If you have a look at the CDV site you will eventually discover the horrendous size of the patches. I think one CMBB one was 70MB - it was a fraction of the size if you had the good fortune to have the BFC copy.

I have copies in both publishers formats. Do not waste time on the CDV - the copy protection is a pain as it is very finickety on some CD players.

Most importantly if you by the BFC version, which is shipped from EIRE for Europe, the profit goes directly to the good guys.

Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

If you have a look at the CDV site you will eventually discover the horrendous size of the patches. I think one CMBB one was 70MB - it was a fraction of the size if you had the good fortune to have the BFC copy.

I have copies in both publishers formats. Do not waste time on the CDV - the copy protection is a pain as it is very finickety on some CD players.

Most importantly if you by the BFC version, which is shipped from EIRE for Europe, the profit goes directly to the good guys.

I had never heard of this site before getting CM:Anthologies - all future BFC products will, of course, be ordered from here! :D

CDV's Combat Mission: Antholgy triple pack don't require CD's in drive. This is very good since for example I run around with my laptop playing TCP/IP games. I really dislike carrying my game cds with me. But this changed with patch 1.02 to CM:AK. Why now there is CD check altough we have come this far without needing any checks?

EDIT: Damnit, due to poor disconnecting connection it seems that I posted on wrong topic. This should had been in the CD thread. This can be deleted since I will post it again to correct topic.

[ November 17, 2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Cirrus ]