LCD Settings and Game Resolution

I'm replacing my CRT with a new LCD monitor which will be arriving shortly. I know enough to eliminate the prefs file (and do I ever hope that BF fixes the initial screen resolution algorithm in CMX2 as the existing implementation leaves much to be desired).

A few questions:

Can CM run in 1920x1200 resolution? And if so w/o distortion? (stretching)

I presume that a low refresh rate (60 Hz) is all I need since LCDs do not supposedly flicker and cause eyestrain like CRTs can, right?

With all this future real estate I'd like to reduce the demands on the system by having the game perform less video calculations (60x/sec vs 72, 85, etc.) as I found with the CRT that this did have an impact on the smoothness of the game when panning, rotating, moving views.

Thanks,

Andrew

The vertical refresh rate places very little in the way of demand on a videocard. From a game's video performance perspective there's hardly any difference between 60Hz and 85Hz, etc. So running at 60Hz really isn't going to make a performance difference to CM compared to running a CRT at 85+Hz. What will make a performance difference is running at a higher resolution, since more of the 3D screen has to be rendered at one time for the 'viewport'.

As far as I can tell 1600x1200 (or there-abouts) seems to be the maximum resolution that CM will work at. I've run at some 1900x1200 or 1400 resolutions and CM never started above 1600x1200.

Depending on your LCD's electronics, 1600x1200 with either be "strecthed" (most likely) or it will truncate the display to a certain portion of the screen (very rare nowadays). So if your LCD's native resolution is 1900x1200, you're likely to to see the strecthed pixels.

The eyestrain from flicker is a very individual thing. I, for example, are not sensitive to it at all, I can happily work on a 60 Hz CRT. I am very sensivtive to sharpness, though. It is not really possible to predict what will be acceptable to you.

I thought I ran CM above 1600x1200 once but can't remember exactly.

CM does not distort the picture with unusual aspect ratios, if you have widescreen it will adapt smoothly.

That Dell 2005FPsomething or Apple display you obviously have your sights set on has a switch to allow you to choose between image scaling and smaller image when you use less than native resolution.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

That Dell 2005FPsomething or Apple display you obviously have your sights set on has a switch to allow you to choose between image scaling and smaller image when you use less than native resolution.

Actually the Dell 2405. Whoo Hoo!!