OW, how bad can it get.

Have you ever managed to lose 3 companies of men? Two companies of Gebirgsjager mountain troops, and a company of Volksgrenadier, heavy smg platoons and all? In heavily wooded terrain, to british regulars and a platoon or two of british paratroopers? Fighting within 14- 25 meters of each other. Well I managed too, with out even getting hit by artillery. Time to go back to the drawing board.

Were your forces winded or tired? They don't fight very well when fatigued. Were they under HQ command? If not, your platoons won't get the command bonuses from the HQ. If your men were sneaking they will stop and fire if fired upon. The Brit paras are some nasty guys to face, their HQs probably had the attack bonus +1 or +2. I can't say for certain what it could be without more detail, but those would be my likely guesses.

I think on sneak is about the only time they will stop and fire, without continuing into deadly fire. We both used veteran troops. I never had a tired soldier, and was always within command of platoon leader. I thought I followed the book. Maybe I massed them two much. We have finished the battle, and I lost 15 men to two heavy arty spotters. The platoon leaders I could find in the masses of bodies on top of one another had +1command, +2 moral, etc. They were really a good bunch of leaders. :( sniff, sniff. Something I barely remember reading one, about rotating your men in and out of the fight, could that have been it? I will see if there is a way I can post a screenshot. Can't figure out how to get the screen shot on here, but the total of casualties was 395 for me and 360 for him.

[ December 02, 2003, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: kingjames ]

Sorry if it seems I am complaining. I am trying to figure out the secret to life here. I just am seeing how it is possible. The mountain troops and smg squads at 18m to 25m, according to how I understand it, should way out class some british paras or regulars, firepower wise. What is it that I am missing?

Originally posted by kingjames:

Sorry if it seems I am complaining. I am trying to figure out the secret to life here. I just am seeing how it is possible. The mountain troops and smg squads at 18m to 25m, according to how I understand it, should way out class some british paras or regulars, firepower wise. What is it that I am missing?

Were the Brits in foxholes? And your men weren't?

Michael

In my experience, in forest firefights, it depends on who blunders into whom. Iow, still-moving (or sneaking) units will suffer vastly more if the enemy is already stationary and ready to fight. Also, I think sneaking units will continue to go forward until they actually receive fire, regardless of other friendly units around them that are already caught up in the fight. And you're quite right that massing large numbers of men on a small patch of ground is usually Not A Good Idea smile.gif !