RT play? Finding it difficult -

I wish to play RT (over WEGO) but am finding it difficult to manage all my forces (managing them, positioning them, etc, etc). Espeically under the time constraints given (man, I wish this was an OPTION for the customer to turn off).

Question, do most people who plat RT...use the pause button? And if so, how so? it what manner?

I would love to see some walk-thru's (even on a much more limited scale) as Hunter (sp?) has done with his AAR for WEGO gameplay...

yea. I wish there was an option turn off the timer.

But as to answering your question, the pause button merely pauses all the movement on the field. You can, however, still rotate around, and move around with your screen. The best part is, you can also give orders with the pause button on so that you troops can all receive orders during the pause. Its sort of like WEGO but you get to choose when the action stops and when it starts again. I however, like to try and play it without pausing at all to simulate how realworld commanders have to think and work.

I use the pause button extensively. Since you, the player, wear many hats in a typical CMSF battle playing real time without pauses exclusively means forcing you to try to do too much. No real life commander is asked to handle and micromanage so many forces at the same time.

Meade: except for the campaign scenarios, you can open a battle in the scen editor and increase the time limit to 2 hours, just save a copy of the originals so you can go back to playing the originals or PBEM, etc. When i play RT i pause quite a lot to assess the situation and give new orders. So that can definitely help you get a handle on things. The only real downside to RT vs WEGO in terms of control is that when you have a large map with more than one location where stuff is happening, you either play at a very far zoom level or focus on one location. Either way you are missing out on some stuff. Of course, another downside is that when something cool happens, you can't replay it :)

Jak, i don't think playing with pause is less "realistic", i mean unless you are playing with a single platoon on the field, then you are making way more decisions and commanding directly way more units than a real life commander would be anyway. A Company Commander doesn't go around commanding and placing each squad/team in his company, rather he orders his platoons around.

Cheers

I totally use the pause function. I play veteran for that reason. I don't really see a huge difference between veteran and elite, other than that pause function. Unless you are doing a small scenario, you have to use the pause button unless you are an RTS king, which most of us aren't or we would be playing RTS's not a tactical game like this. I have recently went back to WEGO because I am playing a lot of PBEM games. So it improves my skill as a PBEM player. You have to think very differently in a WEGO game. Maybe one day there will be a quarterly of halftime break in each minute to make adjustments. We can only wish.

I would love to see some walk-thru's (even on a much more limited scale) as Hunter (sp?) has done with his AAR for WEGO gameplay...

Guys, where can I find Hunter's AAR, pls?

Meade95, I'd love to do more AARs but unfortuantly I don't do RT (hate it can't stand it). WEGO has too many challenges and perks for me not to play it. Like others have said, you have to think more in advance in WEGO due to the 1min turn constraints. And the Replay benefit goes without saying.:D

There is also a very good tutorial on MOUT here. Assaulting a building fierce and agille LINK

Chainsaw thanks for the endorsement, Devilpup.

Oh, Meade95 & Sabrefly that's an hour in "The Pit" for misspelling the name. NOW MOVE IT!

10pdkwk.jpg

If the game can record the 1 minute turn for replay in WEGO why not have it maintain a 1 minute recording during realtime that you can rewind and watch? I used to always play WEGO until trying realtime once... haven't gone back since... but I do miss the ability to replay the good stuff.

I totally use the pause function. I play veteran for that reason. I don't really see a huge difference between veteran and elite, other than that pause function. Unless you are doing a small scenario, you have to use the pause button unless you are an RTS king, which most of us aren't or we would be playing RTS's not a tactical game like this. I have recently went back to WEGO because I am playing a lot of PBEM games. So it improves my skill as a PBEM player. You have to think very differently in a WEGO game. Maybe one day there will be a quarterly of halftime break in each minute to make adjustments. We can only wish.

You can use Pause function in Elite and Iron mode as well, so no reason to play Veteran for that.

Let me ask this - With the TacAI improvements (since 1.08 and now 1.10) what is the most optimal movement order (under most circumstances, lets say)........Is "Hunt" mode now operating effectively enough.....to set Infantry on this more often than not?

Well, completely depends on what you want to achieve. I tend to prefer 'Hunt' when searching for the enemy in more open terrain (when my only cover are bushes, tall grass/crops and small defilades), otherwise I almost exclusively use 'Quick'. They are better at spotting enemies in it, better at firing on the move, and are still not entirely suicidal. The best compromise between fighting ability, speed and survival you have.

I generally only use 'Fast' when crossing streets or moving through other areas where I know I'll probably get shot, but never without suppressive fire on known and suspected enemy locations in that case.

Since 'Hunt' still means they'll stop at the first signs of enemy contact (i.e. either getting a visual, close audio or getting shot at) I tend to have 'Quick' as my main move order for all infantry.

Assault + Area target on the target building for assaulting buildings. With the marines, 1/3rd run into the building while everyone (including your assaulting marines) grenade/shoot the hell out of it. The next 1/3rd follow, guns blazing, and then the last third.

Anyone inside is surpressed/dead by the time you enter the building. Uses lots of ammo though.

Yep. Assault is the way to go when clearing buildings; Slow but effective. One fire team moves, two fire teams provide a fire base. Aso, if you have more squads around it doesn't hurt to do 'Target Light' on the building from the side of it when you assault, and stopping that order as soon as your maneuvering guys are about to enter the door. (does for obvious reasons not work when playing turn based, but since this thread is about Real-Time :P )