Healing soldiers?

Pig Dog

I only picked up CM:SF a week ago so pardon me if this has been discussed (can't find it in search or Google though).

I've looked all through the pdf documentation and can't find anything about this, but have seen it mentioned abstractly in the difficulty selection (ie. in Basic Training mode, buddy healing is very fast, in Veteran is is faster than normal, in Elite it is more real in time frame, etc), as well as various patch notes.

Is there something I should be doing when my troopers get hit? I haven't seen any commands that suggest you can render aid to your injured men. Is this abstracted in the sense that they are given aid between missions and eventually come back 'online', or do I need to send a detached unit over to help out a fallen comrade?

If one of your squads or teams stops (i.e. finishes a movement) close to a wounded soldier/marine, they will eventually administer first aid and that soldier/marine will disappear off the map. This will only happen if they are there for a long enough time and are not under too much pressure. Not sure, but it seems to me that the Target command lessens the commanded squad's willingness to engage in providing first aid. Perhaps one of the testers or Steve can chime in.

Cheers

Either their own unit or another allied unit that stops in the same place as a casualty will generally have someone get down and start making with the bandages. If you select that unit, you'll see in the bottom left of the game window that someone's activity changes from, say "Soldier: Spotting" to "Soldier: Medic" and if you zoom in on them you'll see him hunched over the casualty, poking and fiddling. If this isn't happening after a minute and the unit isn't being shot up or busy, you can try moving them about a bit in the area. When it's done, the casualty will disappear from the ground and his unit listing ("Soldier: Casualty"), which is the abstraction part.

I think the main reasons for doing it are to deny victory points to the opponent by reducing his chances of becoming a KIA when the game calculates such things after the scenario, and to take his ammo and weapon, if it's worth having. I don't know if they might come back within the duration of a campaign, and I don't know how they decide whether it's worth swapping out their own weapon for the guy on the ground's.

Is there something I should be doing when my troopers get hit? I haven't seen any commands that suggest you can render aid to your injured men. Is this abstracted in the sense that they are given aid between missions and eventually come back 'online', or do I need to send a detached unit over to help out a fallen comrade?

Note, that buddy aid works considerably better in version 1.10 (Marines module and/or soon to be released patch).

Best regard,

Thomm