Help with idea for a scenario series

Since I like to play small infantry oriented scenarios, e.g., an infantry platoon with maybe a bit of support here and there, I thought of designing a series of scenarios based around replicating various platoon assault or defense exercises in, say, a platoon leader's course.

So, I tried to find some information about what such exercises would look like, and what sort of terrain and simulated enemy there would be but found little information.

Is there any way that someone who has done this kind of training or knows about it could throw me a bone here and give me a few ideas for scenarios and possibly even describe the terrain in the place they trained? (a contour map would be totally cool of course :)).

If I can find the information I will make a few scenarios and try my hand at making a training campaign that can be played by newbs such as myself :)

Cheers

OK. Here's some of what I remember, without getting into too much detail. Let me know if you need more help. These things should get your creative juices flowing.

Offense:

1) Frontal assaults: Only if last resort, extremely important, or you have vastly superior forces.

2) Flanking: Engage with one unit or group and flank with another. Marines are masters of maneuver warfare.

3) Long distance engagements: Just shooting until they stop shooting back.

4) Combined arms: Using infantry, tanks, air, arty, etc.

5) Advancing to contact: Learn to find the enemy so you can kill him.

6) Using covering fire: Pin down the enemy so that your guys can advance.

Defense:

1) Setting up defenses for enemy frontal assaults. They may try to run over you. Either fight face to face or hide, let them pass, and then hit them from behind.

2) Don't leave your flanks exposed. This is an invitation for a lifetime membership to the VA hospital.

3) Don't leave holes in your defense.

4) Hide everyone that doesn't need to be out until you need them.

Ambushing:

1) Hide until the enemy is in the kill zone.

2) Ambush from multiple sides, like an L shape. Don't ambush a convoy from both sides of the road. Chances are, you'll shoot your buddies.

3) Open the ambush with heavy weapons, clean up with small arms.

4) Have an escape route.

Getting Ambushed:

1) Distant ambushes: You can stop, find cover, and return fire or keep moving.

2) Close ambushes: Move as quickly as possible out of the kill zone. If you can't, scream as loud as you can (your war cry, Marine!), charge the enemy positions, fire on full auto, throw grenades, stab, gouge out eyes, bite throats, and rip off enemy private parts. You honestly will have a better chance of survival than running around looking for cover.

3) Convoy security: Learn how to keep a convoy safe.

Here's a link someone put up on this forum a while back that might help you out too...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/accp/index.html

You should get plenty of material from there. Like I said, if you need additional pointers, pm me and let me know.

Forgot something very important.

Breaking contact:

1) If you are only breaking contact with one squad, the best you can do in this game his run for it.

2) But if you have multiple squads, have one or more fire while the other peels back. Once that squad has moved back, have them open fire and then the next squad moves back.

It's just as important to know when not to fight as it is to know how to fight.

Yair Iny, no problem. This board is about the only place I can talk military, so I don't mind at all. When I talk about this stuff to most people in my life, their eyes glaze over and they start calling me Tackleberry. :P