That old favourite Totenkopf

Ha it just so happens I played this today and got a tactical defeat. But it was great fun and I'll be sure to replay it.

MILD SPOILERS FOLLOW (is CMBB past the spoiler use by date?:):

If you can preserve your vehicles it shouldn't be too hard. But if your mortars don't kill the guns it should be very hard, they are very hard to spot and the infantry is very hard to spot and supress too without the vehicles to add some firepower.

There is a bit of a los split down the wheatfield in the centre of the map so concentrating forces on either flank should allow a strong advance and assault.

• 2 weeks later...

I've fought this to a DRAW but that's about as good as it gets after thre or four tries. I can kill the guns with my mortars, and nail the ACs but dislodging the infantry from the flag is proving very hard in the time available, even pushing my entire force up one flank in a gamey edge rush is no recipe for success.

Considering I now know where everything is set up, I'm thinking it might be one of Andreas's nasty ones that are kind of impossible. Gefechsaufklaerung is another. But maybe I just suck after a long hiatus from CMBB (before which I wasn't very good either).

But there should be an old thread about it somewhere.

Ahh, I remember this one, haven't played it since the game was released in 02. So decided to give it a whirl and see what happens.

***Spoiler Below***

The Germans surrendered to me on the 20th turn, results were a Major Victory with a 73%-27% score. Although I got real lucky since two of the three guns were setup on their far left flank. As my main assault came in on their far right flank. So I only lost one tank to the single AT gun, lost another to AT rifle fire, lost AC to HMG fire, and another to arty. So I managed to have plenty of firepower leftover to pound their right flank.

But my infantry took a helluva pounding from the German arty, ouch.

Perhaps I should have played with AI "stick to default" setup. But unless indicated in the briefing I always choose the "free to place" setup. Nonetheless, it was still a tough battle against the AI. I dread playing this one a against a human. IIRC, I did play as Axis against a human Allied player. Don't think we ever finished the battle, I don't blame him, it's a tough nut to attack.

Thanks for posting about this scenario, forgot all about it. It was a nice trip down memory lane. ;)

I'm pretty sure it does say in the briefing to leave the scenario default setup. With that on it's quite hard, there are some MGs in tough spots and the open areas are covered by some killer crossfires.

The light guns are trouble no matter where they go, hard to spot and deadly.

I looked up some posts from the archived CMBB forum about this one, and the general consensus was that Andreas is an evil bastard.

I'm pretty sure it does say in the briefing to leave the scenario default setup. With that on it's quite hard, there are some MGs in tough spots and the open areas are covered by some killer crossfires.

The light guns are trouble no matter where they go, hard to spot and deadly.

I looked up some posts from the archived CMBB forum about this one, and the general consensus was that Andreas is an evil bastard.

Nope, it just says "made for 2 player or soviet vs AI".

But I agree with the consensus, Andreas is an evil bastard. :D

Having read DAF,s post I thought I'd fire up Totenkopf and revisit it, as I'd never found it that hard. Winter wonderland was the source of many a bitter memory and frustrated impotence, but Totenkopf? Was my memory being selective to protect me from its horrors, no, not really as with other Andreas scenarios you have to look very carefully at the units and the terrain.

Spoiler below***************Spoiler below***************Spoiler below******

Taking the Time, terrain and troops part of a M-ETT analysis leads one to a few conclusions

Time

Very limited given the command delay of your forces especially the AFV's, so no skulking, then again no dashing otherwise it's a slaughter

Terrain

Favours an advance from both flanks, the left has plenty of cover, allowing you to close with any defenders, especially the MG team in the corn field, then you can execute a right flank assault, taking out the PAK and pinning German reinforcements. The right has less cover but troops can move to the woods/scattered trees on the right hand edge as they are mostly shielded by the rise (on which the road runs). I say mostly as I lost 18 men to the MFC as they moved from the woods edge to the shallow depression infront. From there they can move to the clump of trees (where two PAKS are) and then stage an assault on the woods before turning left. Middle used to rush up light MG AFV's

Troops

Suprisingly good, with decent command ratings and stealth. Most powerful single unit is the three 60mm mortars, especially if the battalion HQ is spotting. AFV's used to draw out PAKS after infantry have eyes on potential firing points.

Right flank

Two BT-7's lost to a 222/PAK combo, but combined arms took out 2xPAK, 2x222 and an MMG, with AT assets gone the surviving BT's could effectively support the infantry in capturing the clump of woods, key to the German defensive position.

Left flank

2 BA-10's lost to super PAK who eventually succumbed to 2 platoons plus mortars plus 45mm fire. PAK forced to fire after supporting MMG removed by infantry assault and BA's charged forward. Platoons infiltrated via the pine trees to be able to engage the central defenders

Centre

Wait for both flanks to be engaged and then sent both MG AFV's to fix the central defenders as they responded to the threats from the flank, lost one tank to AR fire. With time running out I gave all surviving units platoon orders to advance, from both flanks towards the victory flag, and although bloody it allowed a partial victory. I could have coreographed the final assault better but I experimented with a new bold strategy.

Conclusion

As with my comments on Gefechsaufklaerung the key is exploiting terrain and maximising your units abilities.

Having read DAF,s post I thought I'd fire up Totenkopf and revisit it, as I'd never found it that hard. Winter wonderland was the source of many a bitter memory and frustrated impotence, but Totenkopf? Was my memory being selective to protect me from its horrors, no, not really as with other Andreas scenarios you have to look very carefully at the units and the terrain.

Spoiler below***************Spoiler below***************Spoiler below******

Taking the Time, terrain and troops part of a M-ETT analysis leads one to a few conclusions

Time

Very limited given the command delay of your forces especially the AFV's, so no skulking, then again no dashing otherwise it's a slaughter

Terrain

Favours an advance from both flanks, the left has plenty of cover, allowing you to close with any defenders, especially the MG team in the corn field, then you can execute a right flank assault, taking out the PAK and pinning German reinforcements. The right has less cover but troops can move to the woods/scattered trees on the right hand edge as they are mostly shielded by the rise (on which the road runs). I say mostly as I lost 18 men to the MFC as they moved from the woods edge to the shallow depression infront. From there they can move to the clump of trees (where two PAKS are) and then stage an assault on the woods before turning left. Middle used to rush up light MG AFV's through the cornfield and the woods and buildings allow the BT's to remain hidden and the HQ units to get eyes on to the main German defensive line, respectively.

Troops

Suprisingly good, with decent command ratings and stealth. Most powerful single unit is the three 60mm mortars, especially if the battalion HQ is spotting. AFV's used to draw out PAKS after infantry have eyes on potential firing points.

Right flank

Two BT-7's lost to a 222/PAK combo, but combined arms took out 2xPAK, 2x222 and an MMG, with AT assets gone the surviving BT's could effectively support the infantry in capturing the clump of woods, key to the German defensive position.

Left flank

2 BA-10's lost to super PAK who eventually succumbed to 2 platoons plus mortars plus 45mm fire. PAK forced to fire after supporting MMG removed by infantry assault and BA's charged forward. Platoons infiltrated via the pine trees to be able to engage the central defenders

Centre

Wait for both flanks to be engaged and then sent both MG AFV's to fix the central defenders as they responded to the threats from the flank, lost one tank to AR fire. With time running out I gave all surviving units platoon orders to advance, from both flanks towards the victory flag, and although bloody it allowed a partial victory. I could have coreographed the final assault better but I experimented with a new bold strategy.

Conclusion

As with my comments on Gefechsaufklaerung the key is exploiting terrain and maximising your units abilities.