WWI flight sim

Ultraman

Any flight sim buffs here? If so, have you checked out Over Flanders Fields?

I haven't played any WWI sims since Red Baron 3d, but this thing looks mighty impressive. The final build (payware) is supposed to be out soon.

Whoops, my bad, I posted the link (infraction). Is it ok to recommend new/upcoming games as long as the link isn't provided? Or is that spam? Just thought folks interested in historical games/sims would be interested.

I just got Phase 2 recently, and I'm quite impressed. The graphics are good, especially in terms of ground detail, which is the best I've ever seen in a flight sim. What really stands out though is the sound - flying over the front through flak is quite an experience. Even the menu music is memorable.

I've been holding out on getting Phase 2, though not for any real good reason. I just stumbled across OFF a couple months ago. I guess because when I dive in I want the whole shebang, and P3 should be here quite soon. Also just recently got pedals and Trackir (can't imagine life without it), so really excited to get a break from IL2 and jump into some biplanes.

CFS3 can be bought at Amazon for $9.99. The latest I've read says that with Phase 3 of OFF, you might not need to install it, but just insert it during install so OFF can get some files it needs.

TrackIR does work... and if you don't have it, you've got to get it! The price just went down recently and it can be had for around $130 if I remember correctly. Also, if you go to the OFF forums, at the bottom is an ad for TrackIR that will discount $10. You might need to be registered with Sim Outhouse (the site that hosts the forums).

I can't imagine how I played without it for so long. In my opinion, it's like flying for years without a keyboard before getting a joystick. You realize what you've been missing. Takes a bit to get used to (few minutes to a few hours, depending on you), but soon you'll really appreciate being to look around by just moving your head.

My computer is relatively old and doesnt play newer games very well. As MCFS3 is really old, does Over Flanders Field play well on older rigs or have they pimped it up a lot and driven the comp requirements sky high (for me)?

What are your specs?

They've overhauled the whole thing, so it depends on your comp. You can request a free copy of Phase 2 in the DVD Swap thread at the OFF forum and see how that runs. One of the developers said if you can run P2 ok, then P3 should run ok as well. Of course, you can turn down settings as well.

Here's a quote about testing:

"Lowest we have tested so far is P4 2ghz, 1GB RAM, GeForce MX440 vid card (64 or 128MB?) which is pushing things some but it will run. But that will need minimal settings and some tweaking."

Any flight sim buffs here? If so, have you checked out Over Flanders Fields?

I haven't played any WWI sims since Red Baron 3d, but this thing looks mighty impressive. The final build (payware) is supposed to be out soon.

Whoops, my bad, I posted the link (infraction). Is it ok to recommend new/upcoming games as long as the link isn't provided? Or is that spam? Just thought folks interested in historical games/sims would be interested.

In general, it's ok to recommend games. If it's the ONLY thing you do (i.e. do not engage in any other discussions etc.), and if your recommendation is merely a collection of press releases, you might end up getting a warning that you're crossing the line into commercial territory.

The "commercial link" limit is mainly an easy way for us to draw a fairly clear line and combat "underground PR".

My computer is relatively old and doesnt play newer games very well. As MCFS3 is really old, does Over Flanders Field play well on older rigs or have they pimped it up a lot and driven the comp requirements sky high (for me)?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop with a 1.8 ghz AMD processor, 1 gig of ram, and a pathetic ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 3D card.

According to the in-game FPS counter, I get around 12 FPS. However, it feels a lot better than that -flight and scrolling are smooth, and the only pauses are when scenery loads for the first time - I usually rotate the view around the aircraft a few times to accomplish this. During combat, The first few turns at low altitude might exhibit a 2-3 second pause as more scenery is loaded, but after that things are fine. My graphics are set at medium.

According to one of the devs, if your computer is struggling at well below 30 FPS, it may affect the AI. For me, sometimes the AI is competent, and sometimes it's stupid and not aggressive. It's not as good as in Il2.