Hexes?

I am curious if this game will go back to hexes like SC-1. I think that squares are vastly inferior (for example you can go much further directly east west or north south than something in between.

Not trying to start a fight, as I know, for some reason, many people like squares, but I'm just wondering which way this one will go. Thanx.

Sorry, i couldn't resist.

If we can believe the dozens of pictures we will get tiles (again), which on the other hand make sense considering the fact that Pacific Theater is a part of the SC2-family, running with the modified SC2-tile-engine.

Sorry for my snippy remark, but when the pictures, which you can see IF you want to, show only tiles and not a single sign of a hex, and if you have monitored the partly harsh fights between the hexes (yeah!) and tiles (booh!) fractions here, you would probably presume just like me that your thread was started by some kind of a troll (which you are obviously not).

:)

Ok, so it's squares, I can live with that. I will get it and enjoy it either way. Hadn't known there was a "war", but I have no reason to further it, so squares are cool with me. I did look at the pics, but I was unable to find any with lines. Looking at the mine in the pic. from your link, I decided it has to be squares.

So thanx.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like the change either, but some perspective - I've been a wargamer since 1965 and a software developer since 1977: hexes have been the standard for decades being most amenable to paper-based system (mechanically and aesthetically). It's what everyone was used to so it carried over to the digital world. However, squares are more amenable to AI, etc. To me the trade off is worth it for a more feature robust game. The first hex version of SC looked more like "home", but the square based current version is a way better game. I got used to it...... --Blaine