Video Cards

MC

OK, this isn't really a problem, but I figure it would be locked up in the regular CMBB forum...

I am getting a new system built, and I would like some info on the current video cards. I guess the most important thing is what would be a bad card not to buy due to a lot of difficulties with CMBB. Anyone have any opinions? (Like I need to ask that on this BB :rolleyes: ) Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Ati has no fog on CM, that leaves nVidia assuming fog matters.

Geforce 4MX is cheapo thing. Should run CMBB just fine,

but I'd advice against it anyway.

GF 3 line is faster than GF4MX, might make a good budget card i

f you can get one cheap and money is tight.

GF4 Titanium line is the current good stuff.

4200, 4400, 4600 and soon 4800.

The bigger the number, the faster and more expensive it is. You pretty

much get what you pay for, but in price/performance 4200 is the best.

If you get 4200, get one with 128MB of memory, it's better than 64.

Nvidia 4200 Ti 64mb is a good card for the price(probaly close to $100-$120 smackaroos(or less), a 128mb by the way makes little to no difference in the effectiveness of the card, sounds more impressive, but, there is no real performance increase to warrant an extra $40 or so dollars on.

I know little to nothing about ATI cards, they are supposed to be doing better on the driver(s) performance or lack thereof...

If games textures fit in the 64MBs, having 128MB's doesn't do much good.

So for CM and other current games, the difference is minimal.

But once games start using heavier textures that dont fit in 64MB

the difference starts to show. Next year should start seeing

games that will benefit from 128MBs.

Originally posted by Jarmo:

If games textures fit in the 64MBs, having 128MB's doesn't do much good.

So for CM and other current games, the difference is minimal.

But once games start using heavier textures that dont fit in 64MB

the difference starts to show. Next year should start seeing

games that will benefit from 128MBs.

Aye, good point. Although, I'll probaly have a bigger, badder VC by then, and $100 aint too much of an expenditure for the mean time.

In the past there were some problems with the Nvidia geforce cards/drivers and CMBO. The problems consisted of things like text that was transparent and hard to see, etc. Have these now been resolved?

Edit: I just remembered that the above described problems were occurring with Windows XP, but not with Windows 98. I'm currently using a Radeon 8500 with Windows XP, and am thinking of purchasing a Geforce 4 based card. There is absolutely no way I will go back to Windows 98 however. tongue.gif

[ December 06, 2002, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Doug Williams ]

There have been a variety of issues regarding Win2000/XP nVidia drivers. Most of these were tied up with FSAA, and solveable by either forcing or not forcing FSAA. Currently the 30.82 or 30.87 drivers work pretty much perfectly with CM (and most other games). The 40.xx series is slightly faster and reputedly has richer colors but does have transparent text issues when FSAA is enabled.

WWB

for the most part it doesn't matter who makes the card - any company making a 4200 is using the same chipset from nvidia

and at least from my experience, the drivers are pretty much all nvidia work too

that makes the actual supposed card makers not much more than assemblers of like technology

occasionally the card makers will take some extra steps in putting heat sinks on the vid memory and a better heat sink/fan on the vid processor - this allows for better over clocking

if you're not going to overclock, then it doesn't from a performance stand point make a lot of difference who you go with - if you look at guru3d or tom's hardware you'll often see reviews of cards that demonstrate FPS results w/in 1 frame of each other

go to newegg.com, great place to pick up vid cards at a good price