Pacific Game: Axis & Allies

Anybody play Axis & Allies Pacific? I've played probably 10 games of it (board game). The victory conditions are interesting for the Japs. Also the end-of-game based on turns makes things much faster!

Any opinions on AAP? Maybe Hubert can use some ideas in regards to victory conditions & possible game length.

LOL, I've only played roughly 10 games, against 3 different opponents. I only lost 1. I've played both sides.

As Japan, my American opponents CLEARLY did NOT understand that you could win by STRATEGIC BOMBING!!! Thus, I won with ease as the Japs. So I'm really not sure about the balance of the game.

As USA, my strategy was super focus. Just build a HUGE pile of crap. Take no chances early on. Then go get an island within BOMBER range. Once you do that, you've won. It appears ugly for awhile, the Japs own nearly the whole board.

QUOTE: by...justanotherwargamer1...

Damned near impossible to win as Japan.

Requires the Japanese player to make choices the Japanese high command would never have allowed in the real thing.

This is the 'EXACT-TRUTH!!!'... . The Japanese High-Command [ARMY & NAVY] were at "eviceral-odd's" with each other!, vying for control for the material resources_manpower_the direction of the war_as well as for 'Power' to make the decision's as to how the war would be fought!.

This 'Internecene-Conflict' made it very-difficult for the Japanese to have a co-ordinated war effort to beat back the Allies!.

Of course it would be easier to win as the JAPANESE...if there were virtually 'No-Coflicts' in the 'Japanese High Command',...but!..."reality was in-fact...another matter!".

This 'INTERNAL-COMMAND-CONFLICT'..."Need's To Be Written Into The Game!!!", to add this REALISM-ASPECT!...as this was the 'Achilles-Heel' of the Japanese Armed-Forces in WW2!.

Nah, it's not impossible to win AAP (Axis & Allies Pacific) as the Japs. After turn #2, they own the whole board. If the USA does something stupid with their fleet, it can be ballgame. Also, if the Japs can make a gambit type move for India or Austrialia with some luck or cute moves...the Japs can win AAP.

I enjoy playing AAP, good Beer & Pretzel experience. Best thing is the game ends at a certain turn compared to the original A&A.

I've played 5 AA games:

1) Original Receipe (not to be confused with Extra Crispy....KFC is fat lard, I wouldn't eat that crap again if I was starving)

2) European AA (game is joke, no way Allies can win)

3) Pacific

4) D-Day

There's also The Bulge, never played. And another one just came out: Guadacanal.

Ate at KFC tonight incidentally. He's right. Been oily like that for years.

The only snag with Axis and Allies, is a smart cunning player can cheese the win.

You hammer at research till you get heavy bombers. Then add long range for the win.

There is NO naval strategy that's going to win against cheaper bombers that can outrange any naval notions. And when one bomber purchased equals 3 rolls of the dice, and a bomber hits as hard as the best units in the game. Well once one side has long range heavy bombers, the other side usually concedes.

KFC is the nastiest, sorriest, sickest road killed wrapped & crapped into something called food. The mashed potatoes are like eating paste. The gravy could be converted to run your car on. The Legend can NOT stand fast food: KFC makes me sick. McDonald's makes me sick. Wendy's drains the life out of me. Taco Bell is shat in a shell. It all sucks. Olive Garden sux. Outback Steakhouse's quality has gone down the toilet. Even worse, Baja Fresh....man, their quality is non existant, after a great run for awhile.

Legend likes Subway, the $5 Spicy Italian, toast bun, with extra vinegar please.

Legend likes Quiznos, the $5 Turkey with extra olives.

The original Axis & Allies had issues with the bomber technology. Most people toned them down. Only the USA could afford the rolls for tech let alone buy the bombers. But if the USA does this too early, it could backfire. The funny strategy was to purchase all the AA-guns as Allies in the first turn....then give Stalingrad away, & have the Russians take the AA-gun with them! Then if the Germans take Stalingrad, the Allies can bomb them for every turn from London with British & USA starting bombers, and just by a couple more. I pulled this stunt in a tournament years ago...this dude about punched me out he was so pissed. He got some Legend.

I support eating healthy when possible. Well healthy as opposed to clearly NOT healthy. If you bought it at MacDonalds, it's crap. Amazing what people will buy willingly.

My current fav item is a Chicken bacon swiss pita with lettuce, tomato, carrot, green pepper onion and mayo with pita sauce (some call it sub sauce :)).

Now back to Axis and Allies. Yes, the bomber is likely the biggest potential offender in the game any theatre. More recent editions of the game have greatly aided the game's ability to be a bit more stable. But bombers remain a game killing potential. And the US safe on the opposite side of the ocean from either Japan or Germany is free to abuse the bomber if they play it right.

Britain has to hold Africa or the Allies lose, and Russia, well they sit between Germany and Japan who can use some really nasty tag team strategies.

I was talking about Pacific. Original A&A did favor Allies IMO if they completely focused on Germany and Japan didn't push into Russia. The axis needed some luck to win.

Pacific I think is a lot more skill based. I think a smart allied player will not allow Japan to win outright, but a smart Japan player will win on points.

I found that it was fairly impossible to stop the USA and their mighty production. Eventually what happens is that Japan engages in a monster air battle with the US fleet with their air power. If they can cripple the US fleets the US will not have enough material or time to bring Japan's VPs below what is needed. I thought the VP system was a very interesting way to play the game.

In reality the Japanese had zero chance to beat USA. Wasn't even close. In A&A Pac you have to fend them off as long as you can. A&A Eur I have not played as much so I am not sure how it goes.

I agree that the original favored allies, but only if the allied player had enough skill to make his three countries wortk together. Japan will always go for asia, pacific have no worth to it.

Axis and Allies Europe I have bought but did'nt play that much. But I found that Russia had serious problems against an all out axis drive.